Re: Light and FAST but simple plywood power boat?

  • Matthew Long
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
      Trying again with the links...

      Sh-1

      <http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/sh-1.html>
      <http://www.aviastar.org/air/russia/shavrov-1.php>
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/5955753903/>

      Sh-2

      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shavrov_Sh-2>
      <http://www.aviastar.org/air/russia/shavrov-2.php>
      <http://www.seawings.co.uk/ShavrovSh-2Photogal.htm>

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

      > Links didn't show
      >
      > HJ
      >

      > > Thanks, all, for the suggestions. As a matter of fact, the Bolger tack-and-tape
      > > multichine designs, and specifically Diablo, had already come to my mind. I even
      > > posted the Diablo building photos from the Payson site to one of my aviation
      > > discussion groups to illustrate the kind of simplified construction I had in mind.
      > >
      > > The particular amphibious airplane which caught my eye for its relatively simple,
      > > dory-like hull lines is the one-off Shavrov Sh-1, which was developed into the very
      > > successful Shavrov Sh-2 used in the Soviet Union from the 1930s through the 1960s.
      > > Here are a few links for those that might be interested, perhaps they will jog
      > > someone's memory to suggest another relevant boat design?
      > >
      > > Sh-1
      > >

      > > Sh-2
      > >

      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Matthew
      > >

      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Bolger rules!!!
      > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
      > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
      > > 282-1349
      > > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
      > > Links

    • STEPHEN WILKINSON
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
        Hi Matthew, you might want to take a look at the bolger diablo.It is a easy to build 15' foot
        planing hull utility boat. Mine gives me nearly 30 knots off of a honda 20hp outboard.
        Hope this helps.
        regards steve
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
          I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
          On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.

          Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer to build enough speed to rotate.
          Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40 years...

          Justin
        • Christopher C. Wetherill
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
            Every flying boat I can recall seeing a picture of, or seeing at an air show, has a Step Hydroplane.

            V/R
            Chris

          • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
              Simplest would be the Bolger "Skimmer" available via Payson's "Instantboats.com"

              don
            • Stephen Kandul
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013

                It occurs to me that the Skimmer type of boat might be just the ticket for a amphibious aircraft hull.  I say this as twenty or so years ago the USAF aircraft museum at Wright-Patterson AFB had a circa 1915 amphibian on display.  The plan was home build by a guy who then taught himself to fly it and barn stormed it around the mid west for several years.

                The hull on that AC was very much like a Skimmer hull in configuration, though probably a bit stretched to diminish “porposing”.  If you are going to do a one off design and home build AC it would be worth your time to visit the museum or at least contact them and see what information is available on this AC.  The technology was bone dry basic!

                Regards, SSK

              • harryjak
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Flat bottom gets on a plane easier, the problem is any waves. 40 mpph or more with
                  a flat bottom on a 6" chop is brutal.

                  HJ

                  > I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
                  > On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.
                  >
                  > Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer to
                  > build enough speed to rotate.
                  > Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40 years...
                  >
                  > Justin
                  >

                  > ------------------------------------

                  > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
                  > 282-1349
                  > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
                  > Links

                • harryjak
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                    Stable planning angle, makes hobby horsing difficult.

                    HJ

                    Every flying boat Ican recall seeing a picture of, or seeing at an air
                    > show, has a Step Hydroplane.
                    >
                    > V/R
                    > Chris
                    >
                    > On 01/17/2013 11:10 AM, jdmeddock wrote:
                    >> I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
                    >> On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.
                    >>
                    >> Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer
                    >> to build enough speed to rotate.
                    >> Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40
                    >> years...
                    >>
                    >> Justin
                    >>

                    >> ------------------------------------
                    >>
                    >> Bolger rules!!!
                    >> - NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                    >> - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                    >> - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                    >> - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
                    >> - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
                    >> 282-1349
                    >> - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    >> - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
                    >> Links

                  • Pat
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                      The short video was taken new years day 2013. Coming back to Koh Chang heading into 15-20 knots of wind. We were motoring with a 9.8 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke . Waves about 0.5-1 meter speed 4.5 -5 knots. 20 kilometesr of open water between the 2 islands bashed into these waves for about 4 hours. We never felt a risk the  boat was well behaved and dry. At one point we pulled in mizzen and lashed tiller and hove to. We drifted 45 deg to waves making a little headway. Trip lasted 5 days 120 kilometers...very nice way to spend new Year.

                      Cheers
                      Pat
                    • Matthew Long
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                        Thanks, but is there supposed to be a link to a video in here?