Re: [bolger] Light and FAST but simple plywood power boat?

  • Bill Howard
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
      Matthew:

      I don't know if she will do 25 knots, but she is light and simple.

      Bill Howard
      Nellysford VA
      On Jan 16, 2013, at 6:30 AM, Matthew Long wrote:

      Hello, all, after a long absence from this group.

      I wonder if anyone can point me towards a design, Bolger or otherwise, for a light but really FAST plywood powerboat boat of relatively simple construction. By fast I mean 25 knots or more. The reason, to make a long story short, is that my other interest is homebuilt airplanes and I am looking for light, fast, plywood boats that could help inform the construction details for a light amphibious aircraft design.

      Thanks and regards to all,

      Matthew

    • JOHN WALLIS
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
        I have a Diablo 15' that will do 23-24 MPH (via GPS) on calm flat water powered by a Tohatsu 20HP 4 stroke. I've seen posts by other owners who braced the transom and have gone as high a 50HP 2 stroke and claim speeds approaching 40 MPH. There is also a larger Diablo Grande that is stretched (I think) to 18 feet?

        I don't know if she will do 25 knots, but she is light and simple.

        Bill Howard
        Nellysford VA
        On Jan 16, 2013, at 6:30 AM, Matthew Long wrote:

        Hello, all, after a long absence from this group.

        I wonder if anyone can point me towards a design, Bolger or otherwise, for a light but really FAST plywood powerboat boat of relatively simple construction. By fast I mean 25 knots or more. The reason, to make a long story short, is that my other interest is homebuilt airplanes and I am looking for light, fast, plywood boats that could help inform the construction details for a light amphibious aircraft design.

        Thanks and regards to all,

        Matthew

      • Christopher C. Wetherill
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
          Matthew,

          Simple is a relative term. If you look up Fast Motor Sailer, you will
          find a hull comprised of simple-curved panels with a box keel. It
          derives a fair portion of its structural stiffness from the hard corner
          formed by the hull and the keel. There are a few instances of builders
          leaving off the masts and sails to have a small power cruiser that can
          plane on its box keel. From the pics, it looks pretty fast.

          V/R
          Chris

          On 01/16/2013 06:30 AM, Matthew Long wrote:
          > Hello, all, after a long absence from this group.
          >
          > I wonder if anyone can point me towards a design, Bolger or otherwise, for a light but really FAST plywood powerboat boat of relatively simple construction. By fast I mean 25 knots or more. The reason, to make a long story short, is that my other interest is homebuilt airplanes and I am looking for light, fast, plywood boats that could help inform the construction details for a light amphibious aircraft design.
          >
          > Thanks and regards to all,
          >
          > Matthew

        • Matthew Long
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
            Thanks, all, for the suggestions. As a matter of fact, the Bolger tack-and-tape multichine designs, and specifically Diablo, had already come to my mind. I even posted the Diablo building photos from the Payson site to one of my aviation discussion groups to illustrate the kind of simplified construction I had in mind.

            The particular amphibious airplane which caught my eye for its relatively simple, dory-like hull lines is the one-off Shavrov Sh-1, which was developed into the very successful Shavrov Sh-2 used in the Soviet Union from the 1930s through the 1960s. Here are a few links for those that might be interested, perhaps they will jog someone's memory to suggest another relevant boat design?

            Sh-1

            Sh-2

            Cheers,

            Matthew
          • harryjak
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
              Links didn't show

              HJ

              > Thanks, all, for the suggestions. As a matter of fact, the Bolger tack-and-tape
              > multichine designs, and specifically Diablo, had already come to my mind. I even
              > posted the Diablo building photos from the Payson site to one of my aviation
              > discussion groups to illustrate the kind of simplified construction I had in mind.
              >
              > The particular amphibious airplane which caught my eye for its relatively simple,
              > dory-like hull lines is the one-off Shavrov Sh-1, which was developed into the very
              > successful Shavrov Sh-2 used in the Soviet Union from the 1930s through the 1960s.
              > Here are a few links for those that might be interested, perhaps they will jog
              > someone's memory to suggest another relevant boat design?
              >
              > Sh-1
              >

              > Sh-2
              >

              > Cheers,
              >
              > Matthew
              >

              > ------------------------------------

              > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
              > 282-1349
              > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
              > Links

            • Matthew Long
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
                Trying again with the links...

                Sh-1

                <http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/sh-1.html>
                <http://www.aviastar.org/air/russia/shavrov-1.php>
                <http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/5955753903/>

                Sh-2

                <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shavrov_Sh-2>
                <http://www.aviastar.org/air/russia/shavrov-2.php>
                <http://www.seawings.co.uk/ShavrovSh-2Photogal.htm>

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

                > Links didn't show
                >
                > HJ
                >

                > > Thanks, all, for the suggestions. As a matter of fact, the Bolger tack-and-tape
                > > multichine designs, and specifically Diablo, had already come to my mind. I even
                > > posted the Diablo building photos from the Payson site to one of my aviation
                > > discussion groups to illustrate the kind of simplified construction I had in mind.
                > >
                > > The particular amphibious airplane which caught my eye for its relatively simple,
                > > dory-like hull lines is the one-off Shavrov Sh-1, which was developed into the very
                > > successful Shavrov Sh-2 used in the Soviet Union from the 1930s through the 1960s.
                > > Here are a few links for those that might be interested, perhaps they will jog
                > > someone's memory to suggest another relevant boat design?
                > >
                > > Sh-1
                > >

                > > Sh-2
                > >

                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Matthew
                > >

                > > ------------------------------------
                > >
                > > Bolger rules!!!
                > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
                > > 282-1349
                > > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
                > > Links

              • STEPHEN WILKINSON
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Hi Matthew, you might want to take a look at the bolger diablo.It is a easy to build 15' foot
                  planing hull utility boat. Mine gives me nearly 30 knots off of a honda 20hp outboard.
                  Hope this helps.
                  regards steve
                  Hello, all, after a long absence from this group.

                  I wonder if anyone can point me towards a design, Bolger or otherwise, for a light but really FAST plywood powerboat boat of relatively simple construction.  By fast I mean 25 knots or more.  The reason, to make a long story short, is that my other interest is homebuilt airplanes and I am looking for light, fast, plywood boats that could help inform the construction details for a light amphibious aircraft design.

                  Thanks and regards to all,

                  Matthew

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • jdmeddock
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                    I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
                    On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.

                    Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer to build enough speed to rotate.
                    Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40 years...

                    Justin
                  • Christopher C. Wetherill
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                      Every flying boat I can recall seeing a picture of, or seeing at an air show, has a Step Hydroplane.

                      V/R
                      Chris

                    • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                        Simplest would be the Bolger "Skimmer" available via Payson's "Instantboats.com"

                        don
                      • Stephen Kandul
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013

                          It occurs to me that the Skimmer type of boat might be just the ticket for a amphibious aircraft hull.  I say this as twenty or so years ago the USAF aircraft museum at Wright-Patterson AFB had a circa 1915 amphibian on display.  The plan was home build by a guy who then taught himself to fly it and barn stormed it around the mid west for several years.

                          The hull on that AC was very much like a Skimmer hull in configuration, though probably a bit stretched to diminish “porposing”.  If you are going to do a one off design and home build AC it would be worth your time to visit the museum or at least contact them and see what information is available on this AC.  The technology was bone dry basic!

                          Regards, SSK

                        • harryjak
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                            Flat bottom gets on a plane easier, the problem is any waves. 40 mpph or more with
                            a flat bottom on a 6" chop is brutal.

                            HJ

                            > I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
                            > On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.
                            >
                            > Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer to
                            > build enough speed to rotate.
                            > Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40 years...
                            >
                            > Justin
                            >

                            > ------------------------------------

                            > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
                            > 282-1349
                            > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
                            > Links

                          • harryjak
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                              Stable planning angle, makes hobby horsing difficult.

                              HJ

                              Every flying boat Ican recall seeing a picture of, or seeing at an air
                              > show, has a Step Hydroplane.
                              >
                              > V/R
                              > Chris
                              >
                              > On 01/17/2013 11:10 AM, jdmeddock wrote:
                              >> I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
                              >> On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.
                              >>
                              >> Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer
                              >> to build enough speed to rotate.
                              >> Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40
                              >> years...
                              >>
                              >> Justin
                              >>

                              >> ------------------------------------
                              >>
                              >> Bolger rules!!!
                              >> - NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                              >> - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                              >> - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                              >> - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
                              >> - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
                              >> 282-1349
                              >> - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                              >> - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
                              >> Links

                            • Pat
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                                The short video was taken new years day 2013. Coming back to Koh Chang heading into 15-20 knots of wind. We were motoring with a 9.8 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke . Waves about 0.5-1 meter speed 4.5 -5 knots. 20 kilometesr of open water between the 2 islands bashed into these waves for about 4 hours. We never felt a risk the  boat was well behaved and dry. At one point we pulled in mizzen and lashed tiller and hove to. We drifted 45 deg to waves making a little headway. Trip lasted 5 days 120 kilometers...very nice way to spend new Year.

                                Cheers
                                Pat
                              • Matthew Long
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                                  Thanks, but is there supposed to be a link to a video in here?