Re: [bolger] help ID a boat design

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2013

      That might be Jim Michalak's design Sow's Ear - with added upper works.

      On Jan 14, 2013 5:50 PM, "ozarknjrat" <oetting@...> wrote:

      I uploaded a photo named "mystery boat" into the River Rat photo folder and would like help to identify the design. I'm not sure where I got it, but it's been in my "inspiration" file for a while.

    • nezih
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2013
        It is Bolger Hawkeye.Upper(Longer) design of MC

        I uploaded a photo named "mystery boat" into the River Rat photo folder and would like help to identify the design. I'm not sure where I got it, but it's been in my "inspiration" file for a while.

      • ozarknjrat
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2013
          Bingo! Did a google search using those terms and the second image hit was it.

          http://www.jimsboats.com/15feb11.htm

          Thanks Mark!

          John

        • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2013
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ozarknjrat" wrote:

            > Bingo! Did a google search using those terms and the second image hit was it.
            >
            > http://www.jimsboats.com/15feb11.htm

            Nice catch Mark. I was ready to say it was more Michalak than Bolger, and definitely NOT Hawkeye. Gracious of Jim Michalak to post a pic of a heavily modified build. Most designers would not.
          • Joseph Stromski
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2013
              I wonder what led the builder to do a box keel on that hull. It sounds like its mainly being used as a canal cruiser, and the original flat bottom would be OK for that.
              Best,
              Joe

              > Bingo! Did a google search using those terms and the second image hit was it.
              >
              > http://www.jimsboats.com/15feb11.htm

              Nice catch Mark. I was ready to say it was more Michalak than Bolger, and definitely NOT Hawkeye. Gracious of Jim Michalak to post a pic of a heavily modified build. Most designers would not.

            • Tim Jennings
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2013
                Did I not read that one of the builders noted that basic Sows Ear to be quite affected by the wind?  Perhaps that led to the box keel, or maybe the cabin sole steps down into the keel for headroom?

                Tim

                --
                Tim Jennings
                Director of Facilities