Locust

  • Douglas Pollard
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 25, 2012
      Locust

      By

      Douglas G Pollard Sr.

       I have been trying to get some one to take an interest in this as a
      worth while project.
      For about a year I’ve been reading what I can find on locust trees for
      building boats and stumbled upon even more.
      Here is what I have found: They will grow in extreme heat, Locust is
      prolific and spreads quickly. When the plants are young the are good
      cattle grazing food and goats and sheep will eat them. In less than 10
      years Honey locust and Black locust can be harvest as boat building
      lumber. The wood does not rot and so is a good house lumber and for pole
      sheds, as well as for boats. It needs no paint and will last 100 years
      in the ground. The long strings of bean pods on the sugar locust can be
      eaten. The trees produce sugar under the bark as well as in the beans. A
      young lady on line makes fish hooks from the thorns. She said the
      Indians used them.
      I have been thinking about Haiti. They have no trees left because they
      have cut them all down burning them to make charcoal for cooking. With a
      good planting of locust which burns hot enough as is, there would be no
      need to burn whole forests to make charcoal. At one time nails were even
      made from black locust. After the trees are planted cattle can eat them
      for about two years when they begin to grow thorns. Being well protected
      by there thorns they quickly grow to a size in less than ten years that
      is suitable for building. Since sea food is a large part of their diet,
      long lasting Locust fishing boats that need no maintenance would provide
      diets rich in protein. The only down side I see is that black locust
      beans are poison so they would need to be taught to recognize the
      difference. A couple of the videos on line put on there by a botanist
      familiar with locust say they will grow in Hot climates in poor soil. I
      also read they make good soil. They should thrive in Haiti where there
      is no competition from other species. If they get too prolific it should
      not be a problem to harvest them back to a reasonable population. So
      anyone who may know someone in a position to look into this I would
      apperciate if they would forward it

      Doug

      --
      Doug Pollard,
      Sailor, Machinst, writer,artist

      http://sailboatsfairandfine.blogspot.com/
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DObsRslyJJo
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F5DiZASKPs
    • Crandall, Chris S.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2012
        Honey locust (gleditsia triacanthos) and Black locust (robinia pseudoacacia, family Fabaceae) hare a common name, but are not otherwise related. They both have good qualities, but not the same qualities. Honey locust is not particularly rot resistant.

      • Douglas Pollard