Bolger Sailing Scow and David Raison 747 Hybrid

  • Darrell
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 17, 2012
      Hello my fellow Bolger fans. I'm a total newbe to boats, and I don't even know the basic jargon yet. However, I would like to discuss the "big picture" with you.
      For quite some time considered one day owning a  boat as a source of recreation. As world events are unfolding, I have started to think of a boat as a vehicle for evacuation and long-term survival.

      The sailing scow, as depicted by Bolger's #501 and BWAOM Chapter 41, would seem to me to be a good choice. Cheaper to build, with lot's of space, and sufficiently seaworthy to serve as coastal cruisers. The flat bottom triloboat, Slacktide , is serving in this capacity up in South East Alaska. It is shoal draft and copper clad underneath, capable of grounding herself as the tides and weather require. An acceptable spot could turn into a long-term camping location.

      However, the coastal cruising limitation is one that is disturbing to me. What if the wife insists on evacuating to Hawaii? Or the evacuation takes place when King Neptune is stirring up a fuss? Recently, I became aware of David Raison crossing the Atlantic in a minitransat 6.50, which is a 21-foot scow racing boat. I scratched my head on that one. I thought scows were not ocean crossers.

      O.K., I know that Raison's 747 has the innovative "bulbous" bow, which, instead of cutting through the waves, bobs over them, using it's extra floatation to avoid plowing itself under. I also know the wide-bodied minitransats have dual rudders and a swing keel hanging on a gimbel, or something. Why could not a larger sailing scow avail itself of features inspired by Teamwork Evolution and the minitransats? Of course, the scow I envision must retain it's extreme shoal draft, because neeping the boat, and going through tight shallow passages, is part of the survival strategy. Perhaps two advanced leaboards taking the place of the swing keel? Another attribute that can't be dispensed with is the metal covering on the bottom half of the hull, to allow beaching and neeping on rockier beaches.

      Another issue is sails. What do you think of junk sails? Again, they are easier and cheaper to make, and I understand they are easy to repair at sea.
      Here is a link to shoal draft boats, and a link to Teleport, a junk-rigged sailboat that took an Aussie, and his cute girlfriend, to the Arctic. My Boat Page

      Thanks for humoring me...I know my level of knowledge on these topics is comical.

      Darrell
      San Diego, CA
    • Mike Graf
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2012
        keep dreaming. that's one of the great parts of boating
         racers are rarely concerned about comfort and and always concerned about speed.
        That little racer compared to Dave and Onka's Triloboat is apple to oranges
        The racer 6-8 knots and nerve racking(but fun) Slacktide3-4 knots as comfy as your living-room
        The racer, I bet , expensive, certainly the rig is- Slack built w/economy as a priority, wasting as little of the 4x8 sheet material as possible ergo max volume for the amount of material bought

        Slacktide  is an amphibian in large part due to the choice of HEAVY copper bottom
        Never do a haul-out/bottom job      Ballast    and malleable durability  simple genius

        ocean barges transit the ocean daily towed by giant tugboats... but there's no people inside WHINING about how rough the ride is.

        So     racing fun       Cruising fun         Dreaming fun             Sail-on brother

        On 12/18/2012 02:48 AM, Darrell wrote:

        racing -funHello my fellow Bolger fans. I'm a total newbe to boats, and I don't even know the basic jargon yet. However, I would like to discuss the "big picture" with you.
[...]

        O.K., I know that Raison's 747 has the innovative "bulbous" bow, which, instead of cutting through the waves, bobs over them, using it's extra floatatriloboation to avoid plowing itself under. I also know the wide-bodied minitransats have dual rudders and a swing keel hanging on a gimbel, or something. Why could not a larger sailing he rcer probablyscow avail itself of features inspired by Teamwork Evolution and the minitransats? Of course, the scow I envision must retain it's extreme shoal draft, because neeping the boat, and going through tight shallow passages, is part of the survival strategy. Perhaps two advanced leaboards taking the place of the swing keel? Another attribute that can't be dispensed with is the metal covering on the bottom half of the hull, to allow beaching and neeping on rockier beaches.

        Another issue is sails. What do you think of junk sails? Again, they are easier and cheaper to make, and I understand they are easy to repair at sea.
        Here is a link to shoal draft boats, and a link to Teleport, a junk-rigged sailboat that took an Aussie, and his cute girlfriend, to the Arctic. My Boat Page

        Thanks for humoring me...I know my level of knowledge on these topics is comical.

        Darrell
        San Diego, CA

      • steven_dantonio
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
          Hi All,

          After several years pf procrastination (I like to call it researching my options) it is time to build a boat.

          I am looking for comments, both pro and con on my three finalists in the selection (not in any special order:

          1. the Summer Breeze http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/projects/summerb/index.htm

          2. The Featherwind http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/featherwind/index.htm

          3. Storm Petrel http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm

          Of the three, the Summer breeze would probably be the quickest and easiest build for a first boat, and probably the easiest to car top (actually pickup truck top). As far as my skills I have over 20 years making making furniture and violins, but no boats. So, while I'm not an expert boat builder, I do know which end of the saw to hold onto.

          The first boat build will most likely be 0.25 inch luan ply (home depot grade) with fir chine's (yeah I know it will probably have to be rebuild in a couple years from better materials). Glassed and epoxy encapsulated. With this in mind the Summer Breeze followed in a couple years by a Storm Petrel seems like a good logical sequence (although I was thinking AS29, Jessie Cooper, or black skimmer for the second boat).

          The goal is a small-medium size lake, solo, daysailer with will probably never see salt water in it's first year of life.

          All three boats have a fairly wide beam, something I like for stability. So I shouldn't roll it to often. I also like a transom so I can tell the pointy end from the back (helps me know if I have it in forward or reverse). This is one reason I decided against the windsprint for a first boat (also the relatively small beam).

          So, suggestions and comments please. Both pro and con.

          Thank you,
          Steven
        • Joseph Stromski
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
            The correct answer to this question is Jim Michalak's book "Boatbuilding for Beginners and Beyond". Included with the book are plans for his Mayfly 14 skiff (as well as a few other boats). There's also loads of other very useful info in that book, and at less than $20 is the deal of the century.
            I've never ever seen underlayment at Home Depot that was worth even looking twice at. Lowe's sells Ultraply XL that's a far better material than anything I've ever seen at HD.
            Just my opinion,
            Joe

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
              Ross Lillistone builds a Mayfly 14

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
              Agreed.  I like Jim Michalak's book and his plans.  Have built a model of his Picara.  After dumping my "June Bug " in the Chesapeake, I like the 500 pounds ballast in Picara.

              Another correct and perhaps simpler answer is the Bolger "June Bug," and Dynamite's Payson's book, Build the New Instant Boats.

              Easily carries three when rowing.
              One person can car-top.
              Beachable.
              Has a pointy end.
              Fiberglass tape is needed only on chines.
              No fiberglass cloth needed.
              Nail and glue construction.
              No complicated bevel cuts on frames.
              DO NOT use luan.  As Dynamite said, "I would just as soon use shredded wheat."
              Do use marine ply.  About $90 per sheet, five sheets needed.
              Spruce is fine for chines and mast.
              Use oar plans from Jim Michalak's book, but modify to six-foot length.
              Fir for oars improves beauty.  Three coats varnish.
              Order sail from Instant Boats.
              Do not stand up in this boat when afloat!

              Bill Howard
              Nellysford VA
            • philbolger@comcast.net
              Message 7 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
                Instead of going for a different design have you tried ballast in JUNE BUG then ?

                Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

> [...]

                Spruce is fine for chines and mast.
                Use oar plans from Jim Michalak's book, but modify to six-foot length.
                Fir for oars improves beauty.  Three coats varnish.
                Order sail from Instant Boats.
                Do not stand up in this boat when afloat!

                Bill Howard
                Nellysford VA

                On Dec 19, 2012, at 4:08 PM, Joseph Stromski wrote:

                > The correct answer to this question is Jim Michalak's book "Boatbuilding for Beginners and Beyond". Included with the book are plans for his Mayfly 14 skiff (as well as a few other boats). There's also loads of other very useful info in that book, and at less than $20 is the deal of the century.
                > I've never ever seen underlayment at Home Depot that was worth even looking twice at. Lowe's sells Ultraply XL that's a far better material than anything I've ever seen at HD.

              • Bill Howard
                Message 8 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
                  Hello Susanne:

                  Have thought of that, but have not tried it yet.

                  What would you suggest?

                  Bill

                • MylesJ. Swift
                  Message 9 of 9 , Dec 20, 2012

                    For the stability you want and cartoppable weight I’d consider the 10’6 version of Brick. It doesn’t have a point though. There are several designs that are basically a Brick with a pointy end. I’ve had June Bug for years which is what I use for your described purpose but I got one of the $200 trailers for it. I’ve also got a Tortoise, a Brick/Duck, and a Micro.

                    MylesJ