Re: MICRO TRAWLER

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 15, 2012
      Yeh, it was great to have it and the transaxle balanced atop a rolling jack. The heat is what burned the valves out. I expect in a boat one may also seem pretty loud.

      On Nov 15, 2012, at 11:49 AM, Douglas Pollard wrote:

      What the engine had going for it was it could be dropped out for rebuilding in 15 minutes.  Usually the valves were burned and new rings needed the lower end bearings and crank held up well... ...I would think it would make a far better engine for an air boat. In this case it can be standing above the boat where it can get free air circulation.
               Doug

      On 11/15/2012 12:52 PM, nezih wrote:

      Yesterday,I have been informed that boat builders here are installing old VW Beetle Engines(after marinise)
      as Inboard Engine.They are not heavy,like outbards.I think this engine eliminates the weight problem of other
      Inboard Engines
      Awaiting comments.
      Nezih

    • JOHN WALLIS
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 16, 2012
        True Doug, Ford FE gas truck engines had larger diameter crankshafts and cam profiles designed more for low RPM torque, compared to the equivalent car engines. Some GMC truck gassers even had exhaust valve rotators and stellite valve seats, anticipating heavier engine load demands.

        Your Isuzu may have had oil starvation issues if the oilpan capacity was not increased and the pickup lowered. I have a marinized 1956 Packard V8 with the oilpan capacity increased from 5 quarts to 4 gallons and an integral oil cooler built in. Most working boats of 25-30 feet and up have gone diesel but that may not be a practical option for the MT being discussed. 4 cycle outboards have been around for several years now and have a good track record even in small commercial fishboats that get hard use.