Re: [bolger] Re: MICRO TRAWLER

  • nezih
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 13, 2012

      Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:28 PM
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: MICRO TRAWLER

      Nezih,
         I once had the chance to visit Istanbul for just a few days and never forgot it, including a Sight-Seeing tour around the Golden Horn.  Very intense and distinct experience of indeed 'Orient' meeting 'Occident' in this old and important city.
      Yes,Mrs.Altenburger,I am agree with you.Hence I want to spend the rest of my life by making tours with MT,during the summer time.In addition to Bosphore there is one another place called princes Islands(7 small islands).They are near to Bosphore.Especially in summer time.Beatiful place.
      How much does the annual tax on boats above    the 5sm mark really cost you ?
      MICROTRAWLER is designed for planing with at least light outboard 50HP - versus either much heavier inboard diesel-power for the same speed or no speed at the same weight incl. gearbox, prop, rudder etc.  I do not recollect the current through the Marmara Strait but the Black and Mediterranean connect there with likely things getting 'lively on occasion, if not every 6.3hrs.  So you'd need light-weight/OB speed ?
      Annual tax over 5 meters is approx.200-250 usd.If you compare with USA maybe it is small amount.But regret to inform you it is not a fixed rate.Government can increase it every year like annual car taxes.
      In addition to that there is insurance etc.Before,we were paying taxes according to the HP of Engine.If HP is 9.9 or less that there were no taxes.Now they are collecting taxes according to the lenght of Boat.It is not easy to find cheap marinas here.If you add marine expences inc.tax.,it is taking a remarkable  annual amount.
      For Engine,there are light Air Cooled engines made from Aliminium.Before I make my final decision I will compare the weight of Air cooled  Engine and Outboard.If there is slight difference no problem.Bcs the ply weight of sleeping area will compensate.
      Do they tax the boat-hull on the trailer ?
      Is it trailer-/marina-length or overall length running ?
      And could you have a folding bow to make her longer once she is in the water.
      If Trailer weight is over 440 kgs,there is tax and has to be registered to traffic.Lenght is not probem.But I think,width will not be more than 2.40 meters.
      Authorities are measuring the lenght of the boat,during the registeration and giving official documents writing the details of the Boat.

      Accepting the extra 1m of length in taxes, a simple powersharpie of say 20-feet and 5-6 feet of width with a 10hp outboard might still be cheaper overall than a short wide horsepower-hungry hull that has no seriously useable cabin - even to just take a nap - but saves some money on taxes.  Such a hull will not weigh more than a short wide dense MT.  And that hull would look as good/'cute' as MT....  But not quite as easy to park - unless we fold the bow up when she is on the trailer...

      Options, calculations, decision...
      Susanne Altenburger, Phil Bolger & Friends

      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 16, 2012
        True Doug, Ford FE gas truck engines had larger diameter crankshafts and cam profiles designed more for low RPM torque, compared to the equivalent car engines. Some GMC truck gassers even had exhaust valve rotators and stellite valve seats, anticipating heavier engine load demands.

        Your Isuzu may have had oil starvation issues if the oilpan capacity was not increased and the pickup lowered. I have a marinized 1956 Packard V8 with the oilpan capacity increased from 5 quarts to 4 gallons and an integral oil cooler built in. Most working boats of 25-30 feet and up have gone diesel but that may not be a practical option for the MT being discussed. 4 cycle outboards have been around for several years now and have a good track record even in small commercial fishboats that get hard use.