Re: [bolger] Re: MICRO TRAWLER

  • captainrocky@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 12 8:22 AM

      What ever you decide DO NOT USE A STERNDRIVE INBOARD !!!!  I/O  as they are known in the

      USA  are the worst choice for saltwater. I made a poem about them :

      I O,  IO,-- it will never work you know

      It will,you think

      and then it sinks

      IO ,IO

      Too much to go wrong. Seals ,hydraulics,electrical,linkage,gages and saltwater corrosion and electrolysis. Save your money. In my opinion ,you can't beat a 4 stroke outboard  . The smallest that will give you the performance you desire. Keep it as simple as possible. The main advantage of and outboard is there in no thru - hull fittings to worry about . Most boats sink at their docks with leaking thru - hull fittings. Capt. Rocky

      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 16 6:36 PM
        True Doug, Ford FE gas truck engines had larger diameter crankshafts and cam profiles designed more for low RPM torque, compared to the equivalent car engines. Some GMC truck gassers even had exhaust valve rotators and stellite valve seats, anticipating heavier engine load demands.

        Your Isuzu may have had oil starvation issues if the oilpan capacity was not increased and the pickup lowered. I have a marinized 1956 Packard V8 with the oilpan capacity increased from 5 quarts to 4 gallons and an integral oil cooler built in. Most working boats of 25-30 feet and up have gone diesel but that may not be a practical option for the MT being discussed. 4 cycle outboards have been around for several years now and have a good track record even in small commercial fishboats that get hard use.