RE: [bolger] Re: Diesel Alternatives to High Thrust Outboards

  • Mason Smith
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 8, 2012

      I just noticed this thread and hasten to throw in the fact that I have a 1960s 4-stroke outboard to dispose of. It is a Bearcat 55, same thing as the slightly earlier Homelite 55, made by mounting an upended Crosley car engine on a beefed up Scott Atwater lower unit. I remember seeing one in Monkey Wards in its day. This was running on a 16 foot Lyman until 4 years ago. Fans of these motors claim there was a comparison test done with late Nineties Mercury 4-strokes of same power. Results were virtually identical on fuel economy, noise, rpm, performance. Owner of this one apparently loved it but had to tinker: I found a timing light and spare carburetor in the boat. It’s heavy.

      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 8, 2012