Re: [bolger] Plans for Otter I

  • philbolger@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2012
      Thanks.
      I already answered him...
      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 6:19 PM
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Plans for Otter I

      There are drawings in one of his books,  Small Boats I think.  There are no directions though.  Check out Phil Bolger and Friends website.  Call Suzanne and see if they have the complete plans.

      Charles

      On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM, ebenton99 <ebenton99@...> wrote:

      Are any plans available Mr Bolger's Otter I (the original, NOT Otter II)?
      Thanks
      Ed

    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
        I pasted some clippings in the Otter photo album: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/photos/album/40545337/pic/list - that's not the designed rig...

        There are "directions" (a building key) in the Otter chapter in the book "Small Boats" which is duplicated later in the combined "Bolger Boats" (SB + FS). Reservations are expressed there about the drag link steering idea. In the "Bolger Boats" preface there is an afterthought expressed about that steering mechanism reservation proving true and suggesting a change to yoke steering. In the yet later book "Different Boats" in the Chapter on Otter II more Otter reservations are discussed, indirectly about swamping, and rig, but mainly about it being an early attempt at an "instant boat" plan and what that entails. However that may be, PCB still held Otter to be good, and to go pretty well... (weatherly?) In an article concerning cuddy accomodations Jim Michalak thought the cabin height a little on the low side... But many have expressed an admiration for Otter's looks.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Charles Schweickert <caschweickert@...> wrote:
        > There are drawings in one of his books, Small Boats I think. There are no directions though. Check out Phil Bolger and Friends website. Call Suzanne and see if they have the complete plans.
        > Charles

        > On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM, ebenton99 <ebenton99@...> wrote:
        > > Are any plans available Mr Bolger's Otter I (the original, NOT Otter II)?
        > > Thanks
        > > Ed
      • John Kohnen
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
          Those photos confirm that Otter is a mighty fine looking boat, though it
          woulda looked better with the designed rig. The American Canoe Association
          used to have a racing rule that said sailing canoes had to have two masts.
          In the '30s Uffa Fox and a friend came over from Old Blighty to race in
          the ACA world championships. The canoes Uffa fox had designed had a
          foremast like Otter's, raked back until the masthead almost touched the
          mainmast, making the foresail act much like a jib. Uffa won the
          championship and I think his friend placed second. Shortly thereafter the
          ACA changed their rules to allow one mast and a jib. <g>

          Otter was designed for a 19-year-old. I know I was smaller and a lot more
          limber when I was 19, and could happily fit into smaller accommodations.
          ;o)

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has