Re: Tara sailing (9m Chinese Sharpie ;-))

  • loosemoosefilmworks
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 30, 2012
      Tom...

      Boat design by coming up with averages of what other boats have is not design at all and approaches a GIGO situation at best.

      First of all, the real test of a design is how it functions. In this case LM2 functioned well we managed to sail it some 20,000 miles and that counts for something.

      Second, a lot of the boats you ascribe to in your arguement are pretty crappy boats... Munroe's Egret is not a boat I'd care to take to sea further than I felt comfortable swimming back from. It is a pretty boat but in the world where form should follow function it would not be Darwin's choice.We've sailed past a couple of Mr Parkers designs (which I actually like) to windward and while they had much lower freeboard they were certainly not kicking ass to windward.

      Lastly you keep saying that the AS39 has such horrible freeboard but, offhand, I can't say it had that much more freeboard than our Jessie Cooper and as it only had standing headroom (for me that equals 6'6") in the galley area under the coachroof (Which was the same as I had on our Jesse Cooper)I still don't see the freeboard as being in any way excessive (maybe Susanne or someone could step in and refresh our memories on the exact freeboard measurement of the AS29 and the LM2 version of the AS39) and at most we are talking a matter of a few inches.

      I mention the lug rig on my blog quite a bit because it's the mistake I made when we had Phil design LM2 for us as I was the one who asked for the boat to be rigged as a gaff. It's just my experience, but the boat would have been much better with a balanced lug main jib combination or as a lug schooner(and not because we needed to improve windward ability) but hey, hindsight is 20/20 right.

      As it happens I just got a phone call from a guy who just launched his AS39 up in South Carolina... He sure sounds like a happy camper.

      Maybe, if you ask nice, he'll even take you for a sail and you could find out how she sails the way it's supposed to be done by sailing the boat...

      Bob

      PS On the passion front it is not so much I have a passion for the boat ( much love yes) but that over the years I have encountered so much misinformation about LM2, the Advanced sharpies, and Bolger boats in general that I feel it needful to correct misinformation when it crops up...
    • Tom Pee