Re: [bolger] slotted screws verses Philips head.

  • Jeffery Measamer
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2012
      Agreed, I've been using hollow ground screwdrivers for years working on firearms and don't understand why they aren't used everywhere.

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 22, 2012
        Best overall screws are Robertson head or square. Driver will not slip out of slot an damage wood.

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 22, 2012
          Robertson is the way to go in my opinion. just match the driver with the screw Paul Happy Adventure
        • David Baughman
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2012
            I agree with the Robertson enthusiasm.
            When I married a lovely Canadian girl 37 years ago
            I was delighted and amazed to discover
            these simple, useful screws.
            Even the tiniest brass screws can be installed with confidence,
            and the screw clings to the driver,
            simplifying work in one-hand-only areas.
            And they are manufactured in standardised sizes
            and colour-coded (yellow green and red cover sizes 3 to 10),
            making it easy to match screws with appropriate drivers.
            I assumed these screws would take over the market
            in all of North America,
            but the USA seems reluctant to adopt them.
            They can be ordered through most any Canadian woodworking outlet.
            If you haven't tried them you're in for a treat.
            Just be sure to order the drivers or bits as well
            or you'll have great screws and no way to use them!

            --
            "We can easily forgive a child
            who is afraid of the dark;
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 22, 2012
              I first came across the Robertson-head woodscrews when working in Canada some 40 years ago. They have been available here in New Zealand for at least 25 years - I would simply never use any other type, given the choice. They are brilliant. Must be some kind of fancy marketing of Phillips head or slotted screws that has limited the availability of Robertsons in the U.S.
              Andrew.
              New Zealand.