Re: [bolger] Pegleg Mast

  • Rick Bedard
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2012
      Ah, that photo clarifies. So the mast snapped right at the core to core + staved transition. Now I get it. Mark's photo made that a bit unclear to me.

      Thank you John for filling in what my failing memory couldn't, and adding what I didn't know..

      The 20 lbs was a typo, I meant 30, that would have been the bare mast. I never weighed it all rigged.

      With hindsight, instead of your wedges I should have used longer staves down to the heel. I think my reason at the time was less restricted access to the bow cubby.  Now I see that as a mistake. But then, where would it have failed? My guess is either ripped out the mast step or an explosion of toothpick sized splinters....

      No matter, Mark must be on the water by now.

      All in all, quite a life for a little quick and dirty built boat that was intended to last a year or two!

      Sail on....

      Rick