Morgan out island

  • Douglas Pollard
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25 1:32 PM
      Run up on this guys website. He seems to have a bad taste left in his
      mouth by Morgan boats. Of course it's one mans opinion but still it's a
      red flag. They were a cheap boat in the early days and got more
      expensive as they got more popular. Some are advertising pretty cheap
      while the Gulfstar's like Ted had, seem to hold a better price. At this
      point none of it matters as I am likely to wind up with something a bit
      smaller out of the necessity of finding a really good boat for less
      money, Doug

      http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/morgan_462_ketch.htm
    • captainrocky@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25 2:31 PM

        I chartered a Morgan 41 OI in 1979 in clearwater Fl. Great boat . Drew 5 ft with a keel you could careen on. Probably the most unbreakable sailboat made. Reached 7 knots in a squall with genny and main full. Cruised at 7 knots under motor. After the week was over my wife askd me if many people lived inFl? I moved here in 1981 and been here since in Englewood. I can truely say that Morgan decided the rest of my life from 40 yrs old on. I became a 100 ton Capt., rented motorboat,saiboats,windsurfers,bikes and opened a Surf shop where I put girls in Bikinis and ran my Charter boat Sweet El. a 30 ft. Alura. Makes me tired ,just to think about it. Rocky

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25 3:01 PM
          Capnrocky , I don't think blisters would be that big a deal since it's
          no longer an unknown as ultrasound will pretty much tell the story. Yes
          I have sailed on one and thought she did just fine and of course they
          are a great live aboard boat. She may be more boat than I can afford but
          I will definitely be looking at some of them. Doug

          On 09/25/2012 05:31 PM, captainrocky@... wrote:
          > I chartered a Morgan 41 OI in 1979 in clearwater Fl. Great boat . Drew 5
          > ft with a keel you could careen on. Probably the most
          > unbreakable sailboat made. Reached 7 knots in a squall with genny and
          > main full. Cruised at 7 knots under motor. After the week was over my
          > wife askd me if many people lived inFl? I moved here in 1981 and been
          > here since in Englewood. I can truely say that Morgan decided the rest
          > of my life from 40 yrs old on. I became a 100 ton Capt., rented
          > motorboat,saiboats,windsurfers,bikes and opened a Surf shop where I put
          > girls in Bikinis and ran my Charter boat Sweet El. a 30 ft. Alura. Makes
          > me tired ,just to think about it. Rocky

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26 9:50 AM
            I suspect the whole Morgan OI story would fill a book. The first OI41s got a lot of bad reviews on their sailing performance, but I suppose the later models were better. There were OI models down to about 28 feet, all exceedingly roomy for their length.

            I think there may be similar stories about boats from Allmand, and maybe Hunter. My father's '70s vintage Hunter 30 was used as a liveaboard before he bought it.

            I don't imagine that a Jesse Cooper would make much progress upwind against a 30KT wind with a well-developed sea, either.
          • Douglas Pollard
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 26 11:13 AM
              Yeah Jessie, I don't really pay much attention to derogatory comments
              except maybe as a red flag to take a look. I had been thinking in terms
              of possibly a wide sharpie or a sailing barge as an old age home with
              the ability to move around the country in waterways with a now and then
              trip to the Bahamas. The OI41 certainly would fit that bill and much
              more. It is big enough my wife can keep much of the things she is
              fretting over getting rid of. I am a machinate and by moving a few
              things around in the engine room I can make room for a tiny machine
              shop. I had one on a Fantaisia 35 in a sail locker under the Port cocpit
              seat that had standing headroom and a work bench. Really worked out
              well and I was always able to make up a new something for a neighboring
              fellow cruiser. As you can see the OI 41 is almost perfect for that.
              She won't settle in the water much when loaded with all our junk and
              that is important to me to. I just wish she had leeboards in place of a
              keel. Doug