RE: [bolger] Re: Supermouse

  • John Trussell
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2012

      Nels,

       I am somewhat hesitant to make major changes to existing designs. The designer almost certainly knows more about design than I do and the chances are, the design feature I might want to change was designed that way for a reason. I will make cosmetic changes (such as a strip of molding at the bottom of the sheer strake) or move cleats around to suit my size or preference, but I don’t change hull shape or ballast..

      Water is not as dense as lead (or steel or concrete with iron punchings), so you need somewhat more volume of water than lead to achieve the same ballast effect. I don’t think that allowing a hollow keel to flood would have the same effect as the lead ballast PCB specified.

      Melting metal is a scary process, but with a healthy fear and reasonable precautions, is doable. Alternatively, lead shot in epoxy doesn’t involve melting metal and is easier to work with.

      John