Diesel Alternatives to High Thrust Outboards

  • philswatch
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 9 9:04 AM
      I don't like the high thrust outboards that seem to be the optimal propulsion for many Bolger designs.

      Let me rephrase that, I actually have the highest respect for modern outboards like the Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9. It is a very respectable machine. It's the GASOLINE that I don't like. I've used diesel at sea my adult life, and I don't like gasoline on the boat.

      On the hull forms of AS29, AS39: what are the options to replace a 9.9 HT outboard with a suitable diesel?

      The best I can think of without redesigning the entire boat is a 10 HP diesel mounted to a Sonic outdrive leg. This would require some redesign of the stern, but not a wholesale redesign. (though might screw up weight distribution)

      Sonic is also not a really good option financially.. I think the Sonic drives cost about 3K alone.

      Switching gears in a related manner.. what are the engine specs in the Ataraxia design? Could that be adapted to replace a 9.9 HT in the AS29, AS39?

      Thanks for reading..
    • Mason Smith
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 8, 2012

        I just noticed this thread and hasten to throw in the fact that I have a 1960s 4-stroke outboard to dispose of. It is a Bearcat 55, same thing as the slightly earlier Homelite 55, made by mounting an upended Crosley car engine on a beefed up Scott Atwater lower unit. I remember seeing one in Monkey Wards in its day. This was running on a 16 foot Lyman until 4 years ago. Fans of these motors claim there was a comparison test done with late Nineties Mercury 4-strokes of same power. Results were virtually identical on fuel economy, noise, rpm, performance. Owner of this one apparently loved it but had to tinker: I found a timing light and spare carburetor in the boat. It’s heavy.