Re: [bolger] Pouring Lead

  • John Boy
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
      The tire shop where I get my weights from usually sells theirs to the scrapper for the "shop fund."  I always bring a suitcase of ice cold Natty Light to contribute to the cause.  I've found Friday afternoons, just before they close to be the best time to go.  The guys have always been generous with me.  BTW, talk to the local tire shops, the chain store guys have rules to follow.
      John Boy

      Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012

        Andy, I had success getting a lead seller to cast up blocks of lead for me in the right thickness for Micro’s keel, in sized close to the max the Post Office would send. It’s a crazily good deal, shipping it that way. I think my units were about 45 pounds each. I could then lay them up in the keel, sawing them to fit together in the space, and fill all the irregular spaces between and around them with epoxy and wood flour. I suppose this is not quite as good as pouring the lead in one piece but it was clean and simple. I grew up in my father’s linotype shop and was unafraid to saw and plane the lead, which cuts like wood. --Mason

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
          On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Adirondack Goodboat
          <goodboat@...> wrote:

          > Andy, I had success getting a lead seller to cast up blocks of lead for me
          > in the right thickness for Micro’s keel, in sized close to the max the Post
          > Office would send. It’s a crazily good deal, shipping it that way. I think
          > my units were about 45 pounds each.

          If I am not mistaken, there is no weight limit on those flat rate
          Priority Mail boxes. :) If it fits in the box, the flat rate
          applies.
        • philbolger@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
            Heck, I saw it on TV as well. Must be true.
            Oh dear, Bruce, now you've done it... They'll blame you for the fisphyscical
            collapse of the USPS...
            Does the Postal Service have heavy-lift Low-Boys to deliver ?

            <goodboat@...> wrote:

            > Andy, I had success getting a lead seller to cast up blocks of lead for me
            > in the right thickness for Micro’s keel, in sized close to the max the
            > Post
            > Office would send. It’s a crazily good deal, shipping it that way. I think
            > my units were about 45 pounds each.

            If I am not mistaken, there is no weight limit on those flat rate
            Priority Mail boxes. :) If it fits in the box, the flat rate
            applies.

            ------------------------------------

            Bolger rules!!!
            - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
            horses
            (978) 282-1349
            - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
            Groups Links
          • Jay Bazuzi
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
              When I rebuilt Bobcat's centerboard, I backed the hole with a scrap of the same plywood I used to to make the centerboard.

              Remember not to pour over concrete, which can explode of molten lead spills on it.

              I used the same lead that had been in the previous centerboard

              I made the hole slightly too small. The centerboard still has negative buoyancy, but it's closer to 0, which means it's really easy to lift 1-handed while tacking.

              My crucible was an old cast iron pan from the thrift store.

              -J

              On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM, andybrad2 <andybrad2@...> wrote:

              Does anyone have any advice for what to back the cartopper centerboard with when pouring lead? In Instant Boats Payson suggests asbestos but I can't say I have any laying around.
              Also where do people get the lead to melt down? I was thinking bulk shot that people use to pack shotgun shells but that's more expensive then I thought it would be. Any other suggestions.
              Thanks
              andy

            • Monies
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
                I use aluminum foil to back my lead, lining the entire hole with it to keep from burning the wood.

                You can buy lead on e-bay and they will ship it to you. If it fits in a shipping envelope for flat rate mailing, it is cheap to ship and they can get about 50# in a $10 box.

                I buy all my lead from scrap metal dealers and just go pick it up. You can get lead from tire weights and people who balance tires.

                The Red Scamp, Bolger Cartopper Noble Plan

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bazuzi <jay@...> wrote:

                > When I rebuilt Bobcat's centerboard, I backed the hole with a scrap of the
                > same plywood I used to to make the centerboard.
                >
                > Remember not to pour over concrete, which can explode of molten lead spills
                > on it.
                >
                > I used the same lead that had been in the previous centerboard
                >
                > I made the hole slightly too small. The centerboard still has
                > negative buoyancy, but it's closer to 0, which means it's really easy to
                > lift 1-handed while tacking.
                >
                > My crucible was an old cast iron pan from the thrift store.
                >
                > You can even buy lead on Amazon:
                > http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Lead-Ingot-99-9-4-5lbs/dp/B001QV3JBO/
                >
                > -J
                >
                > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM, andybrad2 <andybrad2@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Does anyone have any advice for what to back the cartopper centerboard
                > > with when pouring lead? In Instant Boats Payson suggests asbestos but I
                > > can't say I have any laying around.
                > > Also where do people get the lead to melt down? I was thinking bulk shot
                > > that people use to pack shotgun shells but that's more expensive then I
                > > thought it would be. Any other suggestions.
                > > Thanks
                > > andy

              • Douglas Pollard
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
                  On 09/09/2012 11:39 AM, Monies wrote:
                  > I use aluminum foil to back my lead, lining the entire hole with it to
                  > keep from burning the wood.
                  >
                  > You can buy lead on e-bay and they will ship it to you. If it fits in a
                  > shipping envelope for flat rate mailing, it is cheap to ship and they
                  > can get about 50# in a $10 box.
                  >
                  > I buy all my lead from scrap metal dealers and just go pick it up. You
                  > can get lead from tire weights and people who balance tires.

                  > The Red Scamp, Bolger Cartopper Noble Plan
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>, Jay
                  > Bazuzi <jay@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > When I rebuilt Bobcat's centerboard, I backed the hole with a scrap
                  > of the
                  > > same plywood I used to to make the centerboard.
                  > >
                  > > Remember not to pour over concrete, which can explode of molten lead
                  > spills
                  > > on it.
                  > >
                  > > I used the same lead that had been in the previous centerboard
                  > >
                  > > I made the hole slightly too small. The centerboard still has
                  > > negative buoyancy, but it's closer to 0, which means it's really easy to
                  > > lift 1-handed while tacking.
                  > >
                  > > My crucible was an old cast iron pan from the thrift store.
                  > >
                  > > You can even buy lead on Amazon:
                  > > http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Lead-Ingot-99-9-4-5lbs/dp/B001QV3JBO/
                  > >
                  > > -J
                  > >
                  > > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM, andybrad2 <andybrad2@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > Does anyone have any advice for what to back the cartopper centerboard
                  > > > with when pouring lead? In Instant Boats Payson suggests asbestos but I
                  > > > can't say I have any laying around.
                  > > > Also where do people get the lead to melt down? I was thinking bulk
                  > shot
                  > > > that people use to pack shotgun shells but that's more expensive then I
                  > > > thought it would be. Any other suggestions.
                  > > > Thanks
                  > > > andy

                  I just let it burn the wood. It only burns about a sixteenth inch deep
                  and the burnt wood prevents rot, Then I glassed and epoxied the lead
                  into place. It's still there 4 years later. Doug