Pouring Lead

  • andybrad2
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2012
      Does anyone have any advice for what to back the cartopper centerboard with when pouring lead? In Instant Boats Payson suggests asbestos but I can't say I have any laying around.
      Also where do people get the lead to melt down? I was thinking bulk shot that people use to pack shotgun shells but that's more expensive then I thought it would be. Any other suggestions.
      Thanks
      andy
    • Mark Albanese

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
            On 09/07/2012 04:53 AM, Mark Albanese wrote:
            > I found 5# coils at the fisherman's supply store, bright and shiny.
            > Cheap enough in small amounts. A flat piece of steel clamped to the work
            > makes a good backing.
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > On Sep 6, 2012, at 10:41 PM, andybrad2 wrote:
            >
            >> Does anyone have any advice for what to back the cartopper centerboard
            >> with when pouring lead? In Instant Boats Payson suggests asbestos but
            >> I can't say I have any laying around.
            >> Also where do people get the lead to melt down? I was thinking bulk
            >> shot that people use to pack shotgun shells but that's more expensive
            >> then I thought it would be. Any other suggestions.
            >> Thanks
            >> andy

            Go to any shop that balances car wheels, They will most likely give
            you wheel wights. When you melt them the steel tabs will float to the
            top and you skin them off. I had an old charcoal grill so i used it. I
            don't think I spilled any lea in it but I broke it up anyway thinging
            someone might find it in the dump and cook on it. Doug
          • John Boy
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
              The tire shop where I get my weights from usually sells theirs to the scrapper for the "shop fund."  I always bring a suitcase of ice cold Natty Light to contribute to the cause.  I've found Friday afternoons, just before they close to be the best time to go.  The guys have always been generous with me.  BTW, talk to the local tire shops, the chain store guys have rules to follow.
              John Boy

              Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

              Does anyone have any advice for what to back the cartopper centerboard with when pouring lead? In Instant Boats Payson suggests asbestos but I can't say I have any laying around.
              Also where do people get the lead to melt down? I was thinking bulk shot that people use to pack shotgun shells but that's more expensive then I thought it would be. Any other suggestions.
              Thanks
              andy

            • Adirondack Goodboat
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012

                Andy, I had success getting a lead seller to cast up blocks of lead for me in the right thickness for Micro’s keel, in sized close to the max the Post Office would send. It’s a crazily good deal, shipping it that way. I think my units were about 45 pounds each. I could then lay them up in the keel, sawing them to fit together in the space, and fill all the irregular spaces between and around them with epoxy and wood flour. I suppose this is not quite as good as pouring the lead in one piece but it was clean and simple. I grew up in my father’s linotype shop and was unafraid to saw and plane the lead, which cuts like wood. --Mason

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
                  On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Adirondack Goodboat
                  <goodboat@...> wrote:

                  > Andy, I had success getting a lead seller to cast up blocks of lead for me
                  > in the right thickness for Micro’s keel, in sized close to the max the Post
                  > Office would send. It’s a crazily good deal, shipping it that way. I think
                  > my units were about 45 pounds each.

                  If I am not mistaken, there is no weight limit on those flat rate
                  Priority Mail boxes. :) If it fits in the box, the flat rate
                  applies.
                • philbolger@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
                    Heck, I saw it on TV as well. Must be true.
                    Oh dear, Bruce, now you've done it... They'll blame you for the fisphyscical
                    collapse of the USPS...
                    Does the Postal Service have heavy-lift Low-Boys to deliver ?

                    <goodboat@...> wrote:

                    > Andy, I had success getting a lead seller to cast up blocks of lead for me
                    > in the right thickness for Micro’s keel, in sized close to the max the
                    > Post
                    > Office would send. It’s a crazily good deal, shipping it that way. I think
                    > my units were about 45 pounds each.

                    If I am not mistaken, there is no weight limit on those flat rate
                    Priority Mail boxes. :) If it fits in the box, the flat rate
                    applies.

                    ------------------------------------

                    Bolger rules!!!
                    - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
                    horses
                    (978) 282-1349
                    - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
                    Groups Links
                  • Jay Bazuzi
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
                      When I rebuilt Bobcat's centerboard, I backed the hole with a scrap of the same plywood I used to to make the centerboard.

                      Remember not to pour over concrete, which can explode of molten lead spills on it.

                      I used the same lead that had been in the previous centerboard

                      I made the hole slightly too small. The centerboard still has negative buoyancy, but it's closer to 0, which means it's really easy to lift 1-handed while tacking.

                      My crucible was an old cast iron pan from the thrift store.

                      -J

                      On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM, andybrad2 <andybrad2@...> wrote:

                      Does anyone have any advice for what to back the cartopper centerboard with when pouring lead? In Instant Boats Payson suggests asbestos but I can't say I have any laying around.
                      Also where do people get the lead to melt down? I was thinking bulk shot that people use to pack shotgun shells but that's more expensive then I thought it would be. Any other suggestions.
                      Thanks
                      andy

                    • Monies
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
                        I use aluminum foil to back my lead, lining the entire hole with it to keep from burning the wood.

                        You can buy lead on e-bay and they will ship it to you. If it fits in a shipping envelope for flat rate mailing, it is cheap to ship and they can get about 50# in a $10 box.

                        I buy all my lead from scrap metal dealers and just go pick it up. You can get lead from tire weights and people who balance tires.

                        The Red Scamp, Bolger Cartopper Noble Plan

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bazuzi <jay@...> wrote:

                        > When I rebuilt Bobcat's centerboard, I backed the hole with a scrap of the
                        > same plywood I used to to make the centerboard.
                        >
                        > Remember not to pour over concrete, which can explode of molten lead spills
                        > on it.
                        >
                        > I used the same lead that had been in the previous centerboard
                        >
                        > I made the hole slightly too small. The centerboard still has
                        > negative buoyancy, but it's closer to 0, which means it's really easy to
                        > lift 1-handed while tacking.
                        >
                        > My crucible was an old cast iron pan from the thrift store.
                        >
                        > You can even buy lead on Amazon:
                        > http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Lead-Ingot-99-9-4-5lbs/dp/B001QV3JBO/
                        >
                        > -J
                        >
                        > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM, andybrad2 <andybrad2@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Does anyone have any advice for what to back the cartopper centerboard
                        > > with when pouring lead? In Instant Boats Payson suggests asbestos but I
                        > > can't say I have any laying around.
                        > > Also where do people get the lead to melt down? I was thinking bulk shot
                        > > that people use to pack shotgun shells but that's more expensive then I
                        > > thought it would be. Any other suggestions.
                        > > Thanks
                        > > andy

                      • Douglas Pollard
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
                          On 09/09/2012 11:39 AM, Monies wrote:
                          > I use aluminum foil to back my lead, lining the entire hole with it to
                          > keep from burning the wood.
                          >
                          > You can buy lead on e-bay and they will ship it to you. If it fits in a
                          > shipping envelope for flat rate mailing, it is cheap to ship and they
                          > can get about 50# in a $10 box.
                          >
                          > I buy all my lead from scrap metal dealers and just go pick it up. You
                          > can get lead from tire weights and people who balance tires.

                          > The Red Scamp, Bolger Cartopper Noble Plan
                          >
                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>, Jay
                          > Bazuzi <jay@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > When I rebuilt Bobcat's centerboard, I backed the hole with a scrap
                          > of the
                          > > same plywood I used to to make the centerboard.
                          > >
                          > > Remember not to pour over concrete, which can explode of molten lead
                          > spills
                          > > on it.
                          > >
                          > > I used the same lead that had been in the previous centerboard
                          > >
                          > > I made the hole slightly too small. The centerboard still has
                          > > negative buoyancy, but it's closer to 0, which means it's really easy to
                          > > lift 1-handed while tacking.
                          > >
                          > > My crucible was an old cast iron pan from the thrift store.
                          > >
                          > > You can even buy lead on Amazon:
                          > > http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Lead-Ingot-99-9-4-5lbs/dp/B001QV3JBO/
                          > >
                          > > -J
                          > >
                          > > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM, andybrad2 <andybrad2@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > **
                          > > >

                          > > > Does anyone have any advice for what to back the cartopper centerboard
                          > > > with when pouring lead? In Instant Boats Payson suggests asbestos but I
                          > > > can't say I have any laying around.
                          > > > Also where do people get the lead to melt down? I was thinking bulk
                          > shot
                          > > > that people use to pack shotgun shells but that's more expensive then I
                          > > > thought it would be. Any other suggestions.
                          > > > Thanks
                          > > > andy

                          I just let it burn the wood. It only burns about a sixteenth inch deep
                          and the burnt wood prevents rot, Then I glassed and epoxied the lead
                          into place. It's still there 4 years later. Doug