Re: Old Shoe-type MICRO ?

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 4, 2012
      Couple more thoughts...

      Two different design goals.

      MICRO/OLD SHOE designed for a larger senior citizen (Elrow LaRowe). Simple nail and glue hard chine "Instant Boat" construction  with lumber yard wood, arm chair-like relaxed sailing and firm initial stability with motor-sailing capability.

      SCAMP - for more dinghy-like challenges with a hard dodger -  yet simple sail plan. SCA has arranged building courses and a pre-cut kit option. A crew of two can sail it with enough space in the bow for the off-watch member to curl up under the dodger and catch some sleep - proven in the Everglades Challenge.

      Both goals I feel met their purpose. Looks are in the eye of the beholder in my view.

      Nels

    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 7, 2012
        Thanks for your interest.

        The work was done in 2004, then covered in MAIB Sept. 1, 2004 Vol. 22, No 8 p.28-29.  We referred to it as 'MICRO-2'.
        To the plans for Design #422 MICRO across three additional sheets were added modifications doable on any existing MICRO hull:
        - shorter mainmast - 18'4" versus 23' -
        - battened gaff main-sail for an overall sail-area of 210 versus 176, plus 65 sq. foot reaching spinnaker
        - all set in a bow-tabernacle, bringing her hull-length to just over 16 feet,
        - gaff mizzen on 2-foot shorter mizzen-mast
        - moderate-angle fillets under her bow.
        As stated in the MAIB piece in 2004, these three upgrade sheets are $75.
        The complete plans-package has grown over the decades from 6 to 11 sheets and is available for $250 to build one boat.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F