Re: [bolger] Re: Old Shoe-type MICRO ?

  • John Boy
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 4, 2012
      Bruce said about the SCAMP, "(Making it pretty, but not as hydrodynamic.)."

      That boat IS a chick magnet.  Mike and I sailed past some weekend racers during the FL120, you know the ones with the $10k plus suit of kevlar sails on a J something, the bikini clad rail meat hollered out, "Love your cute boat!"  I was thinking, "Love your..." anyway.  It attracted women in the hotel parking lot and the burger joint too.  Mike says it even attracts bikers. Don't know why about the bikers.

      BTW Somebody started this thread comparing an Old Shoe and a SCAMP.  I generously provided my take on the SCAMP (I really can't shut up).  How about a sailing report on the Old Shoe?  I think it would be pretty functional and a good boat.
      Just saying,
      John Boy

      Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 7, 2012
        Thanks for your interest.

        The work was done in 2004, then covered in MAIB Sept. 1, 2004 Vol. 22, No 8 p.28-29.  We referred to it as 'MICRO-2'.
        To the plans for Design #422 MICRO across three additional sheets were added modifications doable on any existing MICRO hull:
        - shorter mainmast - 18'4" versus 23' -
        - battened gaff main-sail for an overall sail-area of 210 versus 176, plus 65 sq. foot reaching spinnaker
        - all set in a bow-tabernacle, bringing her hull-length to just over 16 feet,
        - gaff mizzen on 2-foot shorter mizzen-mast
        - moderate-angle fillets under her bow.
        As stated in the MAIB piece in 2004, these three upgrade sheets are $75.
        The complete plans-package has grown over the decades from 6 to 11 sheets and is available for $250 to build one boat.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F