Re: Old Shoe-type MICRO ?

  • MylesJ. Swift
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 4, 2012

      c.ruzer says “I don't see how 12ft x 5ft Scamp covers Micro/open-Micro.”

      It depends on your needs. Brian and I are both Micro owners looking for something that is a better fit for old guys. If you are not camp-cruising much anymore then SCAMP can cover Micro nicely. You still have a nice solo camper on the sole. Dropping off a wave or big chop in high wind is a shuddering experience with Micro. A couple of hours of that and my back complains for a few days. Not every aspect of a big flat bottom is a winner. Seating and back support is better on SCAMP. Spars weigh nothing compared to the Micro mainmast. A 2 to 3 horse motor is enough for open water in SCAMP versus 5-8 HP for Micro. The closest Bolger to SCAMP is the Japanese beach cruiser.

      All those differences are good features. Watching the capsize tests is what sold me on SCAMP. Standing on the lee rail in strong wind is not enough to turn turtle. You have to haul in the main AND stand on the rail for that. SCAMP was designed for Small Craft Advisor. They requested Mr. Welsford design the safest small sailboat. First model was 10 foot and decided to be too small. The current model is just under 12 foot.

      Go to Small Craft advisor and run the seaworthiness test on the different models you are considering. Micro scores well, SCAMP scores well, open boats don’t score as well. It is a fair test that provides useful comparisons.

      http://smallcraftadvisor.com/sca-seaworthiness-test

      MylesJ

    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 7, 2012
        Thanks for your interest.

        The work was done in 2004, then covered in MAIB Sept. 1, 2004 Vol. 22, No 8 p.28-29.  We referred to it as 'MICRO-2'.
        To the plans for Design #422 MICRO across three additional sheets were added modifications doable on any existing MICRO hull:
        - shorter mainmast - 18'4" versus 23' -
        - battened gaff main-sail for an overall sail-area of 210 versus 176, plus 65 sq. foot reaching spinnaker
        - all set in a bow-tabernacle, bringing her hull-length to just over 16 feet,
        - gaff mizzen on 2-foot shorter mizzen-mast
        - moderate-angle fillets under her bow.
        As stated in the MAIB piece in 2004, these three upgrade sheets are $75.
        The complete plans-package has grown over the decades from 6 to 11 sheets and is available for $250 to build one boat.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F