What size for yard and boom for a balanced lug, 58 sq ft?

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2012
      Hello,

      I'm building a 10 ft pram with a 58 sq ft balanced lug sail and I'm looking for advice on what diameter to make the boom and yard.

      I'm thinking of making the boom 1 1/2 diameter and the yard 1 3/8 diameter (my best guess). What have other people used for this size and type of sail?

      Thanks in advance,

      Ralph
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2012
        I put a 61sqft balanced lug on my cartopper at one stage. The spars were both 1" diameter hardwood (eucalyptus). They were strong enough but not stiff enough. If I were to remake this rig I will go for 1 1/2" diameter.

        Despite the flex in the spars I absolutely love the simplicity and flexibility of this rig. The cartopper experience has influenced me to make a 205sqft balanced lug sail for my Chebacco 25 (still under construction - but the sail is finished)

        Andrew