RE: [bolger] Re: Old Shoe-type MICRO ?

  • John Trussell
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 2, 2012

      I think that Scamp is more analogous to Old Shoe. Both are short, wide boats with considerable ballast/displacement. My guess is that Old Shoe has more initial stability and less ultimate stability than Scamp. Both offer comfortable places for the crew to sit in large cockpits. Arguably, Scamp is a little prettier than Old Shoe (though neither will ever qualify as a beauty) and Old Shoe is probably quicker to build (though the lead keel adds challenge). I’m an old man and I need a comfortable cockpit and an easily managed daysailor that will take care of me without requiring agility or strength. I purchased and studied both sets of plans and I am currently building a Scamp. But it was a close, close call.

      JohnT

      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 7, 2012
        Thanks for your interest.

        The work was done in 2004, then covered in MAIB Sept. 1, 2004 Vol. 22, No 8 p.28-29.  We referred to it as 'MICRO-2'.
        To the plans for Design #422 MICRO across three additional sheets were added modifications doable on any existing MICRO hull:
        - shorter mainmast - 18'4" versus 23' -
        - battened gaff main-sail for an overall sail-area of 210 versus 176, plus 65 sq. foot reaching spinnaker
        - all set in a bow-tabernacle, bringing her hull-length to just over 16 feet,
        - gaff mizzen on 2-foot shorter mizzen-mast
        - moderate-angle fillets under her bow.
        As stated in the MAIB piece in 2004, these three upgrade sheets are $75.
        The complete plans-package has grown over the decades from 6 to 11 sheets and is available for $250 to build one boat.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F