Re: Old Shoe-type MICRO ?

  • dennislancaster789
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 1, 2012
      Sounds like the Oldshoe might be a nice option for you. Its only 12ft, but gives you the most boat for the bang. I have thought about converting to a tabernacle to help this old body deal with the main mast... although the Shoe's mast is only 19ft and in Spruce, is fairly light to handle. Fortunately, Bolger designs offer many options.

      Best,

      Dennis

    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 7, 2012
        Thanks for your interest.

        The work was done in 2004, then covered in MAIB Sept. 1, 2004 Vol. 22, No 8 p.28-29.  We referred to it as 'MICRO-2'.
        To the plans for Design #422 MICRO across three additional sheets were added modifications doable on any existing MICRO hull:
        - shorter mainmast - 18'4" versus 23' -
        - battened gaff main-sail for an overall sail-area of 210 versus 176, plus 65 sq. foot reaching spinnaker
        - all set in a bow-tabernacle, bringing her hull-length to just over 16 feet,
        - gaff mizzen on 2-foot shorter mizzen-mast
        - moderate-angle fillets under her bow.
        As stated in the MAIB piece in 2004, these three upgrade sheets are $75.
        The complete plans-package has grown over the decades from 6 to 11 sheets and is available for $250 to build one boat.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F