Re: Old Shoe-type MICRO ?

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 1, 2012
      Yes, I know that there's a tabernacle option on the Micro. It's a question of whether it's worth it to me to make major mods on my old Micro, or go in another direction. SCAMP is a very interesting design that I have been following for some time. At the moment, we're going to sail the Micro a few more times and then see if we'd prefer to change to a smaller, lighter sail and oar type of craft.

    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 7, 2012
        Thanks for your interest.

        The work was done in 2004, then covered in MAIB Sept. 1, 2004 Vol. 22, No 8 p.28-29.  We referred to it as 'MICRO-2'.
        To the plans for Design #422 MICRO across three additional sheets were added modifications doable on any existing MICRO hull:
        - shorter mainmast - 18'4" versus 23' -
        - battened gaff main-sail for an overall sail-area of 210 versus 176, plus 65 sq. foot reaching spinnaker
        - all set in a bow-tabernacle, bringing her hull-length to just over 16 feet,
        - gaff mizzen on 2-foot shorter mizzen-mast
        - moderate-angle fillets under her bow.
        As stated in the MAIB piece in 2004, these three upgrade sheets are $75.
        The complete plans-package has grown over the decades from 6 to 11 sheets and is available for $250 to build one boat.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F