Re: [bolger] Old Shoe-type MICRO ?

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 54 , Aug 30, 2012
      First, micro cruisers are endlessly fascinating. Like, for instance Nano!

      That said, the thing about Old Shoe that is best (in my subjective
      opinion) is how it gets a giant (feeling) sprawling cockpit on a tiny
      LOA. Someone somewhere described it as feeling like the cockpit of a
      30 footer without the rest of the boat.

      I fear that putting a cuddy cabin on the OldShoe hull would end up
      with a too small cabin plus a too small cockpit. Maybe you are
      thinking of Old Shoe with a navigator cabin? That would be
      interesting to see.

    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 7, 2012
        Thanks for your interest.

        The work was done in 2004, then covered in MAIB Sept. 1, 2004 Vol. 22, No 8 p.28-29.  We referred to it as 'MICRO-2'.
        To the plans for Design #422 MICRO across three additional sheets were added modifications doable on any existing MICRO hull:
        - shorter mainmast - 18'4" versus 23' -
        - battened gaff main-sail for an overall sail-area of 210 versus 176, plus 65 sq. foot reaching spinnaker
        - all set in a bow-tabernacle, bringing her hull-length to just over 16 feet,
        - gaff mizzen on 2-foot shorter mizzen-mast
        - moderate-angle fillets under her bow.
        As stated in the MAIB piece in 2004, these three upgrade sheets are $75.
        The complete plans-package has grown over the decades from 6 to 11 sheets and is available for $250 to build one boat.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F