Re: [bolger] Re: River Rat vacation cruiser

  • Robb
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 30, 2012
      I have a good bit of real world experience with solar power propulsion
      on smaller boats.
      The one big rule I have learned through all of this is that if your not
      in a big hurry, you can set up a good solar powered system with almost
      unlimited range for not too much money. regardless of the size of boat,
      as long as it is resonably streamlined, 2 knots is the magic number.
      You can set up a system that will take you 2 knots for a long long ways
      with very little electrical demand. Once you pass the 2 knot mark, the
      equipment required to maintain higher speeds increases greatly in cost.
      The blue heron which I have just completed is a boat set up for cruising
      solely on solar electric power. This boat is the size of a goose and
      has 258 watts of solar panel power. The boat has about 375 amp hours of
      reserve power which will take it at the magic 2 knots or a little less
      for a long long ways without the aid of sunlight. In direct sunlight,
      the panels will maintain the 2 knots plus put a little in the batts. The
      boat also has a hand crank permanent magnetic generator which puts out
      around 30 watts at a maintainable rate. For this size boat, the small
      riptide minnkota motors are so efficient and cheap that they are hard to
      pass up. I believe that the 2 knots rule applies to larger boats also
      and a very liveable slow speed system could built very cheaply. For
      much higher speeds, plan on spending a huge amount of money and carry a
      whole bunch more weight. Robb

    • GNHBus@aol.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 1 8:43 AM
        Many will use the e-prop more than 50% of the time, it saves fuel, engine hours, is more enjoyable, more reliable.
        255 amp hrs is a good benchmark