Re: [bolger] ESC & ANHINGA stern down trim(was Re: Eeek! Fat chance Tale of a Sailing Canoe)

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 27, 2012
    The Bartenders did have a use on the East Coast

    HJ

    On 8/27/2012 3:47 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
    One of the advantages of a double-ender when running a bar ("inlet" down
    there in Florida) is that a following sea will part around the sharp
    stern, not getting as good a grip on it as it would with a transom.

    The lack of buoyancy aft in Egret may be related to Colin Archer's ideas
    about following seas, as demonstrated in his redningskoite's (sp?).
    Archer's rescue boats had steep, sharp runs. His idea was that as the boat
    came down the face of a big wave, the lack of bearing aft would cause the
    stern to dig in, keeping the boat from going too fast and, just as
    importantly, keeping the rudder deeply immersed where it would work best,
    even in a broken sea. A boat with lots of buoyancy aft could lift its
    stern quickly to a following sea, pulling the rudder partway out of the
    water (even all the way out, if it's a shallow rudder like on a
    motorboat), and pushing the bow down if it doesn't have a lot of buoyancy.
    Not a good combination...

    Archer's rescue boats are marvelously seaworthy, but they have a low top
    speed because of their lack of bearing aft. You pays your money and you
    takes your choice. <shrug> Most of us don't ever need a boat as seaworthy
    as a redningskoite, but if I was gonna be sailing around Cape Horn, or
    poking around other dangerous places, I'd sure feel more comfortable in
    one, or one of Billy Atkin's closer adaptations of the type -- Eric,
    Thistle or Ingrid (or even the plastic version of Eric/Thistle, the
    Wetsnail 32, though I've heard that a Westsail will never sail as well as
    a real Eric/Thistle due to changes in ballast and rig).

    An interesting design for running the bars on the Northwest coast, which
    make anything on the East Coast look pretty tame, is George Calkins'
    Bartender. A planing double-ender! Despite the fat stern needed to plane,
    they handle wonderfully on a rough bar:

    http://www.bartenderboats.com/

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:24:16 -0700, Bruce H wrote:

    Part of my intent with the boat modeling I have done is to attempt to
    "read
    the mind" of some master designers.  Munroe's Egret is considered to be a
    'master' design for a surf boat, and it certainly has reduced buoyancy in
    the after part of the boat, so this kind of confirms things.

    My conclusion after studying what master designers have done (including
    PCB)...broaching is caused when the stern lifts (causing the bow to dig).
     If the stern has low buoyancy relative to the forward portion of the
    hull,
    it can reduce the tendency to broach.

  • c.ruzer
    Message 35 of 35 , Sep 1, 2012
      > who can say how this rudder works?

      Bungee bump jumper sprung dagger?

      Remote rudder mount motor controls and electric start? Fuel where?

      Chris?