a fat Sharpie

  • Douglas Pollard
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
      I few moths ago I posted on this list my desire to have a fat
      sharpie as a live aboard and cruising boat for old folks like me.
      Actually a barge.
      I may have found what I am looking for. One I have found is
      Harry the sailing Barge. She is some reminiscent of Bolger boats except
      she is fat rather than the more speedy narrow Bolger boats. I recognize
      Harry would be slow which would matter little to me. I no longer have to
      be anywhere at any particular time. Her shallow draft and roominess in
      26 ft length are of interest to me. The lee boards not taking up cabin
      space site me. I like her Bolger like sprite boom rig.
      I wish there were a similar Bolger design though I suspect he might
      of held such a slow fat barge. I suspect that had MR. Bolger been asked
      to design a little barge and been will to try his hand she likely would
      have looked a lot like Harry. Take a look at the link below.
      Doug
    • Douglas Pollard

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@...> wrote:

          > I few moths ago I posted on this list my desire to have a fat
          > sharpie as a live aboard and cruising boat for old folks like me.
          > Actually a barge.

          <stuff deleted for brevity>

          > I wish there were a similar Bolger design though I suspect he might
          > of held such a slow fat barge. I suspect that had MR. Bolger been asked
          > to design a little barge and been will to try his hand she likely would
          > have looked a lot like Harry. Take a look at the link below.

          Doug,

          I followed the original discussion, but the oxymoronical idea of a 'fat sharpie' threw me off, and I wasn't able to to consider the problem directly.

          Harry reminds me a lot of Phil's Schuyt Houseboat (BWAOM Chapter 40). Phil had also drawn up a couple of Scow Schooners that could be in that ballpark as well.

          -Derek
        • jdmeddock
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
            There is a William Garden design that in my memory is real similar.
            Maybe it is Oyster? It is in Yacht Designs or YD11.
            Designed as a university liveaboard for a for a female college student.

            Justin

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "djdecker2002" <djdecker2002@...> wrote:

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I few moths ago I posted on this list my desire to have a fat
            > > sharpie as a live aboard and cruising boat for old folks like me.
            > > Actually a barge.
            >
            > <stuff deleted for brevity>
            >
            > > I wish there were a similar Bolger design though I suspect he might
            > > of held such a slow fat barge. I suspect that had MR. Bolger been asked
            > > to design a little barge and been will to try his hand she likely would
            > > have looked a lot like Harry. Take a look at the link below.
            >

            > Doug,
            >
            > I followed the original discussion, but the oxymoronical idea of a 'fat sharpie' threw me off, and I wasn't able to to consider the problem directly.
            >
            > Harry reminds me a lot of Phil's Schuyt Houseboat (BWAOM Chapter 40). Phil had also drawn up a couple of Scow Schooners that could be in that ballpark as well.
            >
            > -Derek

          • John Boy
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
              John Boy

              Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

              There is a William Garden design that in my memory is real similar.
              Maybe it is Oyster? It is in Yacht Designs or YD11.
              Designed as a university liveaboard for a for a female college student.

              Justin

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "djdecker2002" <djdecker2002@...> wrote:

              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I few moths ago I posted on this list my desire to have a fat
              > > sharpie as a live aboard and cruising boat for old folks like me.
              > > Actually a barge.
              >
              > <stuff deleted for brevity>
              >
              > > I wish there were a similar Bolger design though I suspect he might
              > > of held such a slow fat barge. I suspect that had MR. Bolger been asked
              > > to design a little barge and been will to try his hand she likely would
              > > have looked a lot like Harry. Take a look at the link below.
              >

              > Doug,
              >
              > I followed the original discussion, but the oxymoronical idea of a 'fat sharpie' threw me off, and I wasn't able to to consider the problem directly.
              >
              > Harry reminds me a lot of Phil's Schuyt Houseboat (BWAOM Chapter 40). Phil had also drawn up a couple of Scow Schooners that could be in that ballpark as well.
              >
              > -Derek

            • John Trussell
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012

                Check out www.atkinsboatplans.com  for several ‘fat sharpies’. It sounds like you might be more interested in a sailing scow than a sharpie. Pete Culler drew several; I think Bolger drew a couple of cartoons, and Sam Devlin offers plans for a small scow called Lichen. Have fun.

                JohnT

[...]

                No virus found in this message.

              • Douglas Pollard
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
                  On 08/26/2012 04:02 PM, John Boy wrote:
                  John Boy

                  Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

                  There is a William Garden design that in my memory is real similar.
                  Maybe it is Oyster? It is in Yacht Designs or YD11.
                  Designed as a university liveaboard for a for a female college student.

                  Justin

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "djdecker2002" <djdecker2002@...> wrote:

                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I few moths ago I posted on this list my desire to have a fat
                  > > sharpie as a live aboard and cruising boat for old folks like me.
                  > > Actually a barge.
                  >
                  > <stuff deleted for brevity>
                  >
                  > > I wish there were a similar Bolger design though I suspect he might
                  > > of held such a slow fat barge. I suspect that had MR. Bolger been asked
                  > > to design a little barge and been will to try his hand she likely would
                  > > have looked a lot like Harry. Take a look at the link below.
                  >

                  > Doug,
                  >
                  > I followed the original discussion, but the oxymoronical idea of a 'fat sharpie' threw me off, and I wasn't able to to consider the problem directly.
                  >
                  > Harry reminds me a lot of Phil's Schuyt Houseboat (BWAOM Chapter 40). Phil had also drawn up a couple of Scow Schooners that could be in that ballpark as well.
                  >
                  > -Derek

                • Douglas Pollard
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
                    Yes I like Rufus as well.  One of the things I like about her is that my house building gang of help can build her with ease. This bunch of children and grand children are excited to get started.  If we chose her I would extend the cabin length wise and out to the hull sides.  Probably  a opening for and aft in the cabin to get to the bow and stern.  I have the perfect little Volvo 2 cylinder engine 13 horse and a great little coal cook stove to heat and cook with.  I would likely build her as a ketch with jib forward. That would be easy and keep the sails small . I am seriously considering "Rufus" thanks for the link.
                                                                                                            Doug

                    On 08/26/2012 04:02 PM, John Boy wrote:
                    John Boy

                    Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

                    There is a William Garden design that in my memory is real similar.
                    Maybe it is Oyster? It is in Yacht Designs or YD11.
                    Designed as a university liveaboard for a for a female college student.

                    Justin

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "djdecker2002" <djdecker2002@...> wrote:

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I few moths ago I posted on this list my desire to have a fat
                    > > sharpie as a live aboard and cruising boat for old folks like me.
                    > > Actually a barge.
                    >
                    > <stuff deleted for brevity>
                    >
                    > > I wish there were a similar Bolger design though I suspect he might
                    > > of held such a slow fat barge. I suspect that had MR. Bolger been asked
                    > > to design a little barge and been will to try his hand she likely would
                    > > have looked a lot like Harry. Take a look at the link below.
                    >

                    > Doug,
                    >
                    > I followed the original discussion, but the oxymoronical idea of a 'fat sharpie' threw me off, and I wasn't able to to consider the problem directly.
                    >
                    > Harry reminds me a lot of Phil's Schuyt Houseboat (BWAOM Chapter 40). Phil had also drawn up a couple of Scow Schooners that could be in that ballpark as well.
                    >
                    > -Derek

                  • c.ruzer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 27, 2012
                      Doug,

                      Thames rig / Junk rig / whatever Triloboat sailing barge freighter or extend the cabin as you say below...

                      http://vermontsailfreightproject.wordpress.com/

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@...> wrote:

                      > Yes I like Rufus as well. If we chose her I would extend the cabin length wise and out to the hull sides. Probably a opening for and aft in the cabin to get to the bow and stern. I have the perfect little Volvo 2 cylinder engine 13 horse and a great little coal cook stove to heat and cook with. I would likely build her as a ketch with jib forward. That would be easy and keep the sails small .
                    • prairiedog2332
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 27, 2012
                        Douglas,

                        You might also be interested in looking Michalak's BOXTOP -  a sailing cat ketch scow of 30'.

                        You maybe have to be a member of the group to view the link. Plans are $35. I have a set and like the design but will not likely build it as I am "living aboard" in a small mobile home by a nice river:-)

                        Am going with a much smaller motor shanty instead. Planning to add the Fastbrick mods with cut-water and extend the cabin forward with a sloping wind-shield like a mini- WATERVAN.  Double as a camping trailer and sleep aboard in campgrounds when on sight-seeing trips.

                        Nels

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "c.ruzer" <c.ruzer@...> wrote:

                        > Doug,
                        >
                        > Thames rig / Junk rig / whatever Triloboat sailing barge freighter or extend the cabin as you say below...
                        >
                        > http://vermontsailfreightproject.wordpress.com/
                        >
                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard dougpol1@ wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Yes I like Rufus as well. If we chose her I would extend the cabin length wise and out to the hull sides. Probably a opening for and aft in the cabin to get to the bow and stern. I have the perfect little Volvo 2 cylinder engine 13 horse and a great little coal cook stove to heat and cook with. I would likely build her as a ketch with jib forward. That would be easy and keep the sails small .

                      • m riley
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 27, 2012
                          doug,
                           I have thought of building a sailing barge out of an old fiberglass  trihull shaped houseboat.
                          Get a 36 0r 40 foot one with a bad cabin and engines for nothing and gut it.
                          build a cabin similar in shape to escargo  or a sailing barge with the sole on the bottom of the hull.
                          leave 2 feet of hull around the cabin all around for decks except have 4 feet aft. The cabin should stick up about 4 feet from the deck to get headroom and the pilot house should be at the stern to keep the windage aft.
                           Here is the tricky part,  take all the transom  off except 2 feet or so in the center .  Cut the bottom going forward for 5 feet at the edges of the remaining transom and do the same at the bottom to side chine.
                          remove all interior reinforcement and jack the big bottom tabs at the aft end up to deck level and join to deck.  join the bottom tab  to the sides and build sides for the 2 foot wide rudder skeg<remaining transom>.  Big barn door rudder on the back of the remaining transom and a small inboard inside it.
                          So now you have a scow rear end on this hull and even though the front looks different it will act about the same as a scow front. A couple of lowering masts with a  moderate sail rig and you are off.
                          there will be some lateral resistance due to the straight hull sides and the  3 hull configuration of the bottom, but I would depend on the engine to motorsail into the wind. should do ok, leeboards added if needed.
                          This boat should actually sail.  resist the temptation to put too much superstructure.
                          mike