POSSIBILITY OF INBOARD ENGINE MOUNTING TO MICRO TRAWLER

  • Ahmet
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
      Anybody studied about above mentioned project?
      Can we install an Inboard engine at the middle of the front Cockpit
      of Micro trawler?
    • Scot McPherson
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
        You are going to shift the center of gravity when you do. You are removing weight from the back and putting it and probably more forward. What do you think will happen if you do that?

        Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
        Old Lyme, CT
        Sent from my iPhone

        On Aug 26, 2012, at 5:18 AM, "Ahmet" <gencahm@...> wrote:

        Anybody studied about above mentioned project?
        Can we install an Inboard engine at the middle of the front Cockpit
        of Micro trawler?

      • nezih
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012

          You are right.Can we install the inboard engine to the rear cockpit,below of the rear door,instead of the oil tank?On this case
          it will be kept under the floor and I hope that it will not spoil the center of gravity,bcs it is not so far from the outboard engine place.Ps inform me
          your idea about it.

          Nezih Ahmet

        • philbolger@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
            No ! Period !

            She runs fine with a 50HP outboard doing in the high-20s kts.
            There is no inboard engine/drive-train that combines the
            - comparative light weight,
            - the Center of Gravity on this design
            and
            - the thrust-vectoring of a modern four-stroke large-prop 4-cyl Outboard.
            Finally, you'd ruin her layout.

            Susanne Altenburger, Phil Bolger & Friends

            Anybody studied about above mentioned project?
            Can we install an Inboard engine at the middle of the front Cockpit
            of Micro trawler?

          • michaelnotigan
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ahmet" <gencahm@...> wrote:

              > Anybody studied about above mentioned project?
              > Can we install an Inboard engine at the middle of the front Cockpit
              > of Micro trawler?

              With the seeming thousands of hours spent epoxying/sanding/epoxying my MT this idea crossed my mind over the years. As Susanne and all pointed out, it's just not doable. The bottom hull is simply not deep enough to accomodate an inboard engine without throwing it's entire balance out of kilter. Plus, in this design, there would be simply no room to move around the boat with this engine smack in the middle..... A mini tug that will accomodate an inboard diesel is Jay Benford's Grivit and Bullhead. Both are 14 foot long pilothouse mini tugs, real beauties! The trade off is a more labor intensive build compared to the stitch and glue/tack and tape MT.
            • nezih
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
                Sir,
                Mentioned Benford Tugs are not speedy boats and with a small boat,it is not easy to reach the safe place during the bad weather.
                But,with MT,you can reach.Bcs it is capable for high speed.
                Nezih Ahmet
                > Anybody studied about above mentioned project?
                > Can we install an Inboard engine at the middle of the front Cockpit
                > of Micro trawler?

                With the seeming thousands of hours spent epoxying/sanding/epoxying my MT this idea crossed my mind over the years. As Susanne and all pointed out, it's just not doable. The bottom hull is simply not deep enough to accomodate an inboard engine without throwing it's entire balance out of kilter. Plus, in this design, there would be simply no room to move around the boat with this engine smack in the middle..... A mini tug that will accomodate an inboard diesel is Jay Benford's Grivit and Bullhead. Both are 14 foot long pilothouse mini tugs, real beauties! The trade off is a more labor intensive build compared to the stitch and glue/tack and tape MT.

              • apraphett777
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 27, 2012
                  Did someone build a "stretched" Micro trawler?? 18' or so ??

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <philbolger@...> wrote:

                  > No ! Period !
                  >
                  > She runs fine with a 50HP outboard doing in the high-20s kts.
                  > There is no inboard engine/drive-train that combines the
                  > - comparative light weight,
                  > - the Center of Gravity on this design
                  > and
                  > - the thrust-vectoring of a modern four-stroke large-prop 4-cyl Outboard.
                  > Finally, you'd ruin her layout.
                  >
                  > Susanne Altenburger, Phil Bolger & Friends

                • c.ruzer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 27, 2012
                    How about going with BONEFISH. Only a cartoon but meant for a small inboard and eminently buildable. Well discussd here as to performance, speed, keel, engine types and fitting etc. - see archives.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 29, 2012
                      Bonefish
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger7/files/Bonefish/

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 29, 2012
                        Dear Mr.Ruzer
                        Here,in my Country,There is tax over 5 mts boats.Hence I prefer boats,less than 5 meters.
                        Nezih

                      • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                          I own plans for Hawkeye, and have printed out the Bonefish info. Hawkeye plans provide much detail for how Bonefish would come together. At one point I owned a pair of the Briggs & Stratton engines. Today, I doubt one could get the B&S engines past the authorities and onto the water. So I've since let the engines go. A small diesel in the box keel of Bonefish would work very well. So would an outboard trailing behind the keel. It would be very well protected. A 25hp 4 stroke would cruise well and have plenty of power for higher speeds when needed.

                          One could apply similar mods to a MicroTrawler, in theory, but with a 14' boat, and a hot smelly engine, there is no cabin space. You'd have to build it as an open boat.