Re: [bolger] Re: Tortoise for fishing

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
      On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Scot McPherson <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:

      > The smaller, lighter boat IS the purpose. I wish my young children to be
      > able to manage putting it away, which may include hoisting it into a tree to
      > keep it off the ground.
      >
      > I may fashion a yuloh for it instead of oars. We'll see.

      Keep it simple. The two short oars shown on the drawing work great.
      Yuloh's require some lateral plan (lacking in a Tortoise) to work.

      If you want fancy, go ahead with the sailing rig on the drawings. I
      simply love sailing around in my Tortoise, it is a lot of fun!
    • Ford Walton
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
        Scot,

        I have a shortened (6') Tortoise, which is very handy for ponds, canals, etc.  It rows easily but slowly, but it does not scull well; it just wiggles back and forth.  Instead of the tree, consider 4 posts in the ground and 2 cross-beams on top of them (think 2 very low hitching rails).    The boat is stable upside down, there's little lifting involved, can be tied down for strong winds. Two PT landscape timbers, 1 or 2 2x4's and 4 galvanized lag screws will do it.  Mine is 10 years old and was been through 2 hurricanes.

        Good luck,
        Ford Walton