Re: [bolger] Re: Tortoise for fishing

  • Scot McPherson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
      The smaller, lighter boat IS the purpose. I wish my young children to be able to manage putting it away, which may include hoisting it into a tree to keep it off the ground.

      I may fashion a yuloh for it instead of oars. We'll see.

      Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
      Old Lyme, CT
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/scotmcpherson
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 6, 2012, at 3:54 PM, BruceHallman <hallman@...> wrote:

      >> Scott,
      >>

      >> Do that style but one bigger, Big Tortoise is the one between the Tortoise
      >> and the Brick. 8ft by 3’2” IIRC.
      >
      > I cannot argue with this, but one thing to keep in mind when making
      > the decision about going up in size. My favorite thing about Tortoise
      > is that it is small, lightweight and compact. This makes is simple
      > and easy to use. It has tremendous capability for being small. I
      > would have no qualms about using it for two full sized adults in a
      > warm water pond. It makes a rock solid fishing platform.
      >
      > Upsizing from Tortoise could make it heavier, less compact and harder
      > to handle.
      >
      > It is real easy and quick to build. May I suggest building one and
      > seeing how it works out? If it isn't big enough, with what you
      > learned building the first time, building the second time will be
      > twice as fast.

    • BruceHallman
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
        On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Scot McPherson <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:

        > The smaller, lighter boat IS the purpose. I wish my young children to be
        > able to manage putting it away, which may include hoisting it into a tree to
        > keep it off the ground.
        >
        > I may fashion a yuloh for it instead of oars. We'll see.

        Keep it simple. The two short oars shown on the drawing work great.
        Yuloh's require some lateral plan (lacking in a Tortoise) to work.

        If you want fancy, go ahead with the sailing rig on the drawings. I
        simply love sailing around in my Tortoise, it is a lot of fun!
      • Ford Walton
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
          Scot,

          I have a shortened (6') Tortoise, which is very handy for ponds, canals, etc.  It rows easily but slowly, but it does not scull well; it just wiggles back and forth.  Instead of the tree, consider 4 posts in the ground and 2 cross-beams on top of them (think 2 very low hitching rails).    The boat is stable upside down, there's little lifting involved, can be tied down for strong winds. Two PT landscape timbers, 1 or 2 2x4's and 4 galvanized lag screws will do it.  Mine is 10 years old and was been through 2 hurricanes.

          Good luck,
          Ford Walton