Re: [bolger] Diablo with an inboard

  • philbolger@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
      There is a partially-inked 2-sheet sparse set of plans for Design #497 "Diablo-23" at 23'x6' likely suitable for a modest inboard-/IO-drive -installation.  Might make a decent Inlet-Runner with adequate decking here and there.  Never been published.  On the list 'to be completed'.

      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      Has anyone seen or read about a Diablo or Diablo grande type of design with an inboard installation?
      Thanks,
      JimR

    • BruceHallman
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012
        Interesting, design #497 is news to me!

      • philbolger@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012
          I know, this sounds like a nasty tease.... but there are a quite a few more.  Hence my urge to carve out more time to focus on getting more of the archive processed for accessibility.

          Believe you me, this incomplete state of effectively-formatted access is most maddening/exasperating to me...
          Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
          > There is a partially-inked 2-sheet sparse set of plans for Design #497
          > "Diablo-23" at 23'x6' likely suitable for a modest inboard-/IO-drive
          > -installation. Might make a decent Inlet-Runner with adequate decking here
          > and there. Never been published. On the list 'to be completed'.
          >
          > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        • James
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
            Thanks, I hope we see some study plans soon.
            JimR

          • philbolger@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
              Looks pretty much like a large Diablo...  Seriously.  No great news to discover.
              Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

            • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <philbolger@...> wrote:

                > Looks pretty much like a large Diablo... Seriously. No great news to discover.
                > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                In "Boats With An Open Mind" chapter 62 there is Samuel Clyde, a 31' Diablo with I/O power and a wonderful cabin scheme, which you wouldn't need to add. Best part is one has been built, so you know the plans have been debugged.

                Chapter 61 mentions and has a photo of an earlier "Fast Motor Sailer", clearly a 26' Diablo set up for sail and an outboard. So at least one of these has been built. If you search for Bolger and McKibben, you will find a current pic of the old FMS with a newer larger cabin on a page full of McKibben's builds covering decades of work.

                So there are complete, larger, Diablo family designs available along with what Suzanne of PB&F just offered. Though there would still be some adapting to a conventional inboard configuration.

                Don