Diablo with an inboard

  • jmrudholm
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2012
      Has anyone seen or read about a Diablo or Diablo grande type of design with an inboard installation?
      Thanks,
      JimR
    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
        There is a partially-inked 2-sheet sparse set of plans for Design #497 "Diablo-23" at 23'x6' likely suitable for a modest inboard-/IO-drive -installation.  Might make a decent Inlet-Runner with adequate decking here and there.  Never been published.  On the list 'to be completed'.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        Has anyone seen or read about a Diablo or Diablo grande type of design with an inboard installation?
        Thanks,
        JimR

      • BruceHallman
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012
          Interesting, design #497 is news to me!

        • philbolger@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012
            I know, this sounds like a nasty tease.... but there are a quite a few more.  Hence my urge to carve out more time to focus on getting more of the archive processed for accessibility.

            Believe you me, this incomplete state of effectively-formatted access is most maddening/exasperating to me...
            Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
            > There is a partially-inked 2-sheet sparse set of plans for Design #497
            > "Diablo-23" at 23'x6' likely suitable for a modest inboard-/IO-drive
            > -installation. Might make a decent Inlet-Runner with adequate decking here
            > and there. Never been published. On the list 'to be completed'.
            >
            > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          • James
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
              Thanks, I hope we see some study plans soon.
              JimR

            • philbolger@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
                Looks pretty much like a large Diablo...  Seriously.  No great news to discover.
                Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

              • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <philbolger@...> wrote:

                  > Looks pretty much like a large Diablo... Seriously. No great news to discover.
                  > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                  In "Boats With An Open Mind" chapter 62 there is Samuel Clyde, a 31' Diablo with I/O power and a wonderful cabin scheme, which you wouldn't need to add. Best part is one has been built, so you know the plans have been debugged.

                  Chapter 61 mentions and has a photo of an earlier "Fast Motor Sailer", clearly a 26' Diablo set up for sail and an outboard. So at least one of these has been built. If you search for Bolger and McKibben, you will find a current pic of the old FMS with a newer larger cabin on a page full of McKibben's builds covering decades of work.

                  So there are complete, larger, Diablo family designs available along with what Suzanne of PB&F just offered. Though there would still be some adapting to a conventional inboard configuration.

                  Don