Carlson Hulls Update

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 11 12:37 PM
      Gents:

      I just posted an update to the 32 bit version of the Hulls design program on my website:

      www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip

      I think we've fixed the data table and made it work a little simpler, and wiped off the white bar. Please let me know if it doesn't work on Win7 (I still mostly use XP).

      You don't need to install it; just run the version you want, 16 or 32 bit. I think and hope the file I used exists on most computers - if not, we may have to make an install for it.

      Again, please don't download my program from a 3rd party - I haven't given anyone permission to distribute or bundle it, so I would trust those downloads.

      Gregg Carlson
      Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • slrrls2000
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 11 7:25 PM
        I get the error message (component mscomctl.ocx or one of it's components not registered correctly a file is missing or invalid.
        using win7 ultimate64

      • gc4248@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 11 7:27 PM
          Greg-

          Tried the new version on Vista 64 bit. The white bar is gone but the table of offsets still does not open.

          Geoff
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

          > Gents:
          >
          > I just posted an update to the 32 bit version of the Hulls design program on my website:
          >
          > www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip
          >
          > I think we've fixed the data table and made it work a little simpler, and wiped off the white bar. Please let me know if it doesn't work on Win7 (I still mostly use XP).
          >
          > You don't need to install it; just run the version you want, 16 or 32 bit. I think and hope the file I used exists on most computers - if not, we may have to make an install for it.
          >
          > Again, please don't download my program from a 3rd party - I haven't given anyone permission to distribute or bundle it, so I would trust those downloads.
          >
          > Gregg Carlson
          > Tulsa, Oklahoma

        • Edward Bachmann
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11 8:13 PM

            I had the same symptoms but with Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)

            The 32 bit version of Hulls loaded fine and works as it is supposed to.
            The Patterns module also works fine.

            When I click for the Offsets table, the narrative window for Offsets comes up as it should and asks for an OK,
              But then no Offsets table.

            Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:27 PM
            Subject: [bolger] Re: Carlson Hulls Update

            --- In mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

            > Gents:
            >
            > I just posted an update to the 32 bit version of the Hulls design
            program on my website:

            > www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip
            >
            > I think we've fixed the data table and made it work a little simpler,
            and wiped off the white bar. Please let me know if it doesn't work on Win7 (I still mostly use XP).

            > You don't need to install it; just run
            the version you want, 16 or 32 bit. I think and hope the file I used exists on most computers - if not, we may have to make an install for it.

            Again, please don't download my program from a 3rd party - I haven't given anyone permission to distribute or bundle it, so I would trust those downloads.

            > Gregg Carlson
            > Tulsa,
            Oklahoma

          • Gregory
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 12 10:23 AM
              I added two more .ocx (library) files to the zip:

              www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip

              Can someone with 7 try it again, with all the files available in the folder you run it from. If not, the .ocx's might have to be registered:

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Edward Bachmann <edbz@...> wrote:

              > I had the same symptoms but with Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
              >
              > The 32 bit version of Hulls loaded fine and works as it is supposed to.
              > The Patterns module also works fine.
              >
              > When I click for the Offsets table, the narrative window for Offsets comes up as it should and asks for an OK,
              > But then no Offsets table.

            • MylesJ. Swift
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 12 11:19 AM

                Gregg,

                The 32 bit version seems to work fine on Win 7 – 64.  I’ll try it on Win 8. I expect it will work fine since everything else that I have that works on 7-64 has worked on 8-64 so far

                MylesJ

              • Ralph
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 12 1:49 PM
                  It is now working for me also. Thanks Gregg!!!!!!!!!!!!

                  To register I had to:
                  -- click on the Windows Start menu
                  -- right click on the Command Prompt icon
                  -- select "Run as administrator"
                  A DOS Window opens at c:\windows\system32>
                  -- Then I ran regsvr32 for each .ocx file
                  C:\Windows\system32>regsvr32 d:\hulls_071212\DBGRID32.OCX
                  C:\Windows\system32>regsvr32 d:\hulls_071212\MSCOMCTL.OCX
                  C:\Windows\system32>regsvr32 d:\hulls_071212\Msflxgrd.ocx

                  After each regsvr32, I got a successful completion message.

                  Ralph

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

                  > I added two more .ocx (library) files to the zip:
                  >
                  > www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip
                  >
                  > Can someone with 7 try it again, with all the files available in the folder you run it from. If not, the .ocx's might have to be registered:
                  >
                  > >How to register .OCX files.
                  > >
                  > > Simply go to your windows start menu and select run.
                  > >
                  > > Enter REGSVR32 filename.ocx
                  > > If the .ocx is not in the /system32/ folder; add the file path >before the filename.ocx
                  > >
                  > > Registration Complete
                  >

                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Edward Bachmann <edbz@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > I had the same symptoms but with Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
                  > >
                  > > The 32 bit version of Hulls loaded fine and works as it is supposed to.
                  > > The Patterns module also works fine.
                  > >
                  > > When I click for the Offsets table, the narrative window for Offsets comes up as it should and asks for an OK,
                  > > But then no Offsets table.

                • Edward Bachmann
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 12 5:21 PM
                    That fix did not work on my Win 7 64 bit computer.

                    But this did work!!   Thanks Greg.  (And thanks to Ralph for getting me pointed in the right direction.)

                    Win 7 Home professional 64 bit.
                    1. Copy the missing OCX  files to the C:\windows\SysWOW64 directory (it does not work if you copy to system32).
                    1a.  I copied DBGRID32.ocx and Msflxgrd.ocx.
                    1b.  I did not copy MSCOMCTL.OCX since there was one there.
                    2. Opened the Command prompt in administrator mode
                           Start/AllPrograms/Accessories   right-click on Command_Prompt and click on “run as administrator.”
                    3. regsvr32 dbgrid32.ocx
                    4. regsvr32 msflxgrd.ocx

                    After each regsvr32 operation I got successful completion messages.

                    If you want documentation on the reason for SysWOW64 and not System32,
                    Google on the error code 0x8002801c  (Error accessing the OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) registry).

                    It is now working for me also. Thanks Gregg!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    To register I had to:
                    -- click on the Windows Start menu
                    -- right click on the Command Prompt icon
                    -- select "Run as administrator"
                    A DOS Window opens at c:\windows\system32>
                    -- Then I ran regsvr32 for each .ocx file
                    C:\Windows\system32>regsvr32 d:\hulls_071212\DBGRID32.OCX
                    C:\Windows\system32>regsvr32 d:\hulls_071212\MSCOMCTL.OCX
                    C:\Windows\system32>regsvr32 d:\hulls_071212\Msflxgrd.ocx

                    After each regsvr32, I got a successful completion message.

                    Ralph

                    --- In mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

                    > I added two more .ocx
                    (library) files to the zip:

                    href="mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com, Edward Bachmann <edbz@> wrote:

                    had the same symptoms but with Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)

                    > > The 32 bit version of Hulls loaded fine and works as it is
                    supposed to.
                    > > The Patterns module also works fine.
                    > >
                    > > When I click for the Offsets table, the narrative window for
                    Offsets comes up as it should and asks for an OK,
                    > > But then no
                    Offsets table.

                  • ch_bunch
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 13 10:42 AM
                      It's running for me now. I ended up putting the ocx files out in both the 32 and 64 folders and trying to reg all because I goofed something up the first 2 attempts, but eventually I got it running with all features working (i think). Just not sure who's info was the right one, since i did both. I'm running windows 7 64 home premium.

                      Thanks!!!
                    • Edward Bachmann
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 13 11:23 AM

                        Greg,

                        I took a stab at writing up the install procedure, maybe s few people will test this out and fix anything that isn’t stated clearly  enough

                               Ed B

                        Installation Instructions for the Carlson Hulls Designer under Windows  Win 7 and Vista

                        Download the distribution ZIP file and put the contents in a directory.

                             Get the download ZIP file at this URL www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip

                             Move the contents into a directory .

                             (I  use a subdirectory called “Hulls” under my “Documents’ directory.)

                        You can test basic functionality now:

                           Using Windows Explorer Go to that directory

                           Double-click on the Hulls32 program.

                          The program should load

                               (You may get a warning from your computer that the program has an unknown author,

                                 If so, just allow it to run.)

                          Test using the default file or one of your choice, do a Save to create a Patterns file.

                          Test the Patterns module. It should load properly.

                           Test the Offsets Table (Data/Offsets )

                             – this most likely will not work if you have a 64-bit version of Windows .

                                You will not see an Offsets table.

                           Exit the Hulls32 program.

                        To fix the Offsets table problem under Windows Vista or Win 7:

                        Open Windows Explorer. Go to the directory where you put all of the Carlson Hulls Designer files.

                        You will want the Details-List display so fix that if you need to.

                        Click on the Column Heading for “Type”

                        You will find 3 Active X control files (OCX files)

                            DBGRID32.OCX

                            MSCOMCTL.OCX

                            Msflxgrd.ocx

                        Select those three files, then right click and click on “Copy.”

                        If using Vista, go to the directory named C:Windows\System32

                        If using Win 7, go to the directory named C:Windows\SysWOW64

                        Right-click and then click on “Paste”

                            If Explorer tells you that a file but that name already exists, you should skip copying that file.

                            Remember which one(s) did not need to be copied.

                            You probably do not need to copy MSCOMCTL.OCX

                        Now you will need to register the OCX files that you copied.

                        Click on the “Start” button. Click on “All Programs”.  Click on Accessories.

                        Right-click on “Command Prompt” and click on “Run as Administrator.”

                        This will open a command prompt window.

                        If Vista, enter the command “CD C:\Windows\System32”

                        If Win 7, enter the command “CD C:\Windows\SysWOW64”

                        Then for the files you had to copy enter the command to register the program:

                           REGSVR32 DBGRID32.OCX                     {don’t do this if the file was not copied.}

                               You should see a confirmation message that the program was successfully processed.

                           REGSVR32 Msflxgrd.ocx                     {don’t do this if the file was not copied.}

                               You should see a confirmation message that the program was successfully processed.

                           REGSVR32 MSCOMCTL.OCX                      {don’t do this if the file was not copied.}

                               You should see a confirmation message that the program was successfully processed.

                        You can close the Command Prompt Window now.

                        At this point, the Offsets table should work fine. Try it.

                      • slrrls2000
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 13 7:10 PM
                          this one worked for me but I did have to register the mscomctl.ocx file
                          Thanks Carlson nice work.

                        • ch_bunch
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 14 1:46 PM
                            Sorry, one more thing. Anyone else have problems with the waterline calculation? Seems like whenever I re-size the window it gets hidden, and I can't make it return. Or maybe better put: it only works at the default screen size hulls opens at?

                            Carl
                          • Ralph
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 15 2:15 PM
                              I gave it a try and the waterline was always displayed when I re-sized the window. What I did see was that when reducing the window size (the width) the boat wasn't redrawn to fit into the new window. To get the boat to be redrawn, I had to enlarge the window just a tiny bit.

                              Ralph