Re: Carlson's Hull Designer and Win 7 problem

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 10, 2012
      I recommend you DON'T go to that link. It looks like a site that rips off shareware and probably adds spyware or other malicious stuff to it.

      I wrote the program for fun and distribute it free (only here and up-to-date) on my business website (we build cutters for sailmakers):

      http://www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip

      Whatever may be new is there first and I don't have any relationships or permissions for redistribution, etc. Will let you know after looking at it.

      Gregg Carlson

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "slrrls2000" <slrrls2000@...> wrote:

      > There is a new version compatible with win7 have you tried it?
      > http://www.software112.com/products/carlson-hull-designer.html
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, gc4248@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Gregg-
      > >
      > > I tried the new Hulls 32 on a 64 bit Vista laptop. I have the following issues:
      > > There is a white bar in the display that covers the bottom several inches of the model.
      > >
      > > The table of offsets will not open.
      > >
      > > Sometimes the results do not appear when doing a displacement calculation, other times it works fine.
      > >
      > > Sometimes the heel function causes the model to flip over to the left, and "sunk or failed" appears at the bottom, other times it works fine.
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I don't have Win7, but I'll try to see if I can fix it. If somebody has success with the compatibility modes with either version, let me know -
      > > >
      > > > Gregg Carlson

    • tom s
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 10, 2012
        Greg,

        I'm sure I'm only one among many that would like to say thank you for doing it.

        Tom Sorensen

        Sent from my iPad

        On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:55 AM, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

        I recommend you DON'T go to that link. It looks like a site that rips off shareware and probably adds spyware or other malicious stuff to it.

        I wrote the program for fun and distribute it free (only here and up-to-date) on my business website (we build cutters for sailmakers):

        http://www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip

        Whatever may be new is there first and I don't have any relationships or permissions for redistribution, etc. Will let you know after looking at it.

        Gregg Carlson

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "slrrls2000" <slrrls2000@...> wrote:

        > There is a new version compatible with win7 have you tried it?
        > http://www.software112.com/products/carlson-hull-designer.html
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, gc4248@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Gregg-
        > >
        > > I tried the new Hulls 32 on a 64 bit Vista laptop. I have the following issues:
        > > There is a white bar in the display that covers the bottom several inches of the model.
        > >
        > > The table of offsets will not open.
        > >
        > > Sometimes the results do not appear when doing a displacement calculation, other times it works fine.
        > >
        > > Sometimes the heel function causes the model to flip over to the left, and "sunk or failed" appears at the bottom, other times it works fine.
        > >
        > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I don't have Win7, but I'll try to see if I can fix it. If somebody has success with the compatibility modes with either version, let me know -
        > > >
        > > > Gregg Carlson

        =
      • MylesJ. Swift
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 10, 2012

          I just tried it and it won’t install without installing Babylon which won’t happen here.

          If you have access to a 32 bit version of vista or Seven it will probably work there. I support a DOS program that will run in either 32  bit Windows 7 or using the XPM mode on 64 bit windows 7.

          MylesJ

        • ch_bunch
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 10, 2012
            Is there a way you can remove those posts with the bad link? I tried the download and install before I saw the warning that they are bad. Hope I didn't get infected.
          • slrrls2000
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 11, 2012
              Sorry about that as My fumbly boss often said "I was only trying to help"

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ch_bunch" <ch_bunch@...> wrote:

              > Is there a way you can remove those posts with the bad link? I tried the download and install before I saw the warning that they are bad. Hope I didn't get infected.

            • Mark Albanese
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 11, 2012
                Greg,

                That 32 bit version also helps with Win 2000. I run that through an emulator on a older Mac but have been plagued by an intermittent GPF with your 16 bit version on some multichine boats when figuring displacement or projecting the sheets.

                Having tried just about every setting and floating point DLL fix available, the likely culprit seemed to be the emulator itself -just trying to squeeze too much out of too little and with no recourse but to live with it. But now that update works fine!

                Thanks for sharing the fun.
                Mark