Re: Carlson's Hull Designer and Win 7 problem

  • gc4248@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 9 6:22 PM
      Gregg-

      I tried the new Hulls 32 on a 64 bit Vista laptop. I have the following issues:
      There is a white bar in the display that covers the bottom several inches of the model.

      The table of offsets will not open.

      Sometimes the results do not appear when doing a displacement calculation, other times it works fine.

      Sometimes the heel function causes the model to flip over to the left, and "sunk or failed" appears at the bottom, other times it works fine.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

      > I don't have Win7, but I'll try to see if I can fix it. If somebody has success with the compatibility modes with either version, let me know -
      >
      > Gregg Carlson

    • Ralph
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 9 7:25 PM
        Gregg,

        When you get a new version I'll give it a try if you'd like.

        I have:
        Dell Laptop Inspiron N7010
        Windows 7 Home Premium
        64-bit Op-system
        6 GB RAM
        Intel Core i5 @ 2.4 GHz

        Ralph

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

        > I don't have Win7, but I'll try to see if I can fix it. If somebody has success with the compatibility modes with either version, let me know -
        >
        > Gregg Carlson
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jdmeddock" <jmeddock@> wrote:
        > >

        > > If you have Windows7 professional edition, you can download from MS a windows XP 32bit mode. It is a free download, only works with 7pro.
        > > Once installed it opens a new virtualXP desktop and you install anything that doesn't work with 64bit or with W7 just like you would in XP. You can click back and forth between XP mode and W7 mode without closing programs.
        > >
        > > I use it all the time at work.
        > >

        > > Justin
        > >

        > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <ralphwoodard@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello,
        > > >
        > > > I've been using Hull Designer on my XP machine for several years and now I'm trying to move to a Win 7 PC. Everything seems to work fine except that the actual table for the Data/offset table function doesn't appear. The opening message about using the table appears but not the table.
        > > >
        > > > Has anyone else had this problem?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > >
        > > > Ralph

      • Gregory
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 10 7:55 AM
          I recommend you DON'T go to that link. It looks like a site that rips off shareware and probably adds spyware or other malicious stuff to it.

          I wrote the program for fun and distribute it free (only here and up-to-date) on my business website (we build cutters for sailmakers):

          http://www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip

          Whatever may be new is there first and I don't have any relationships or permissions for redistribution, etc. Will let you know after looking at it.

          Gregg Carlson

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "slrrls2000" <slrrls2000@...> wrote:

          > There is a new version compatible with win7 have you tried it?
          > http://www.software112.com/products/carlson-hull-designer.html
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, gc4248@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Gregg-
          > >
          > > I tried the new Hulls 32 on a 64 bit Vista laptop. I have the following issues:
          > > There is a white bar in the display that covers the bottom several inches of the model.
          > >
          > > The table of offsets will not open.
          > >
          > > Sometimes the results do not appear when doing a displacement calculation, other times it works fine.
          > >
          > > Sometimes the heel function causes the model to flip over to the left, and "sunk or failed" appears at the bottom, other times it works fine.
          > >
          > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I don't have Win7, but I'll try to see if I can fix it. If somebody has success with the compatibility modes with either version, let me know -
          > > >
          > > > Gregg Carlson

        • tom s
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 10 8:35 AM
            Greg,

            I'm sure I'm only one among many that would like to say thank you for doing it.

            Tom Sorensen

            Sent from my iPad

            On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:55 AM, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

            I recommend you DON'T go to that link. It looks like a site that rips off shareware and probably adds spyware or other malicious stuff to it.

            I wrote the program for fun and distribute it free (only here and up-to-date) on my business website (we build cutters for sailmakers):

            http://www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip

            Whatever may be new is there first and I don't have any relationships or permissions for redistribution, etc. Will let you know after looking at it.

            Gregg Carlson

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "slrrls2000" <slrrls2000@...> wrote:

            > There is a new version compatible with win7 have you tried it?
            > http://www.software112.com/products/carlson-hull-designer.html
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, gc4248@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Gregg-
            > >
            > > I tried the new Hulls 32 on a 64 bit Vista laptop. I have the following issues:
            > > There is a white bar in the display that covers the bottom several inches of the model.
            > >
            > > The table of offsets will not open.
            > >
            > > Sometimes the results do not appear when doing a displacement calculation, other times it works fine.
            > >
            > > Sometimes the heel function causes the model to flip over to the left, and "sunk or failed" appears at the bottom, other times it works fine.
            > >
            > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I don't have Win7, but I'll try to see if I can fix it. If somebody has success with the compatibility modes with either version, let me know -
            > > >
            > > > Gregg Carlson

            =
          • MylesJ. Swift
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 10 11:07 AM

              I just tried it and it won’t install without installing Babylon which won’t happen here.

              If you have access to a 32 bit version of vista or Seven it will probably work there. I support a DOS program that will run in either 32  bit Windows 7 or using the XPM mode on 64 bit windows 7.

              MylesJ

            • ch_bunch
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 10 3:06 PM
                Is there a way you can remove those posts with the bad link? I tried the download and install before I saw the warning that they are bad. Hope I didn't get infected.
              • slrrls2000
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 11 9:33 AM
                  Sorry about that as My fumbly boss often said "I was only trying to help"

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ch_bunch" <ch_bunch@...> wrote:

                  > Is there a way you can remove those posts with the bad link? I tried the download and install before I saw the warning that they are bad. Hope I didn't get infected.

                • Mark Albanese
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 11 4:50 PM
                    Greg,

                    That 32 bit version also helps with Win 2000. I run that through an emulator on a older Mac but have been plagued by an intermittent GPF with your 16 bit version on some multichine boats when figuring displacement or projecting the sheets.

                    Having tried just about every setting and floating point DLL fix available, the likely culprit seemed to be the emulator itself -just trying to squeeze too much out of too little and with no recourse but to live with it. But now that update works fine!

                    Thanks for sharing the fun.
                    Mark