Re: AS29 Philippines build

  • sandidgeneal
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1 6:21 AM
      Week 4

      Finished the bottom planking. Cut the centerboard slots. Pre-cut the glass cloth for sheathing. While waiting on arrival of more epoxy, cut out and began framing upper bulkheads. Taped the chine with 10" wide 200 gram cloth. Began sheathing bottom with 2 layers cloth, going up to (down to?) more than 3" above the design waterline, which is the line up to which we plan to copper/epoxy before turning the hull. Hoped to glass all in one go, but couldn't. Will have to clean and sand and finish on Monday.

      We may have to suspend the build for a week or two while the steel plates are being fabricated and shipped.

      Neal
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@...> wrote:

      > Week 3
      >
      > Removed the timber buttstrap from the lower side panels and scarfed up a 3 1/2" X 30' replacement from 3/4" ply. Erected the lower bulkheads. Sprung the two 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" chine log timbers around the pre-notched bulkheads. Installed side panels. Installed bow and stern transoms. Glued on the first layer of the ply bottom and about half the second layer.
      >
      > The project is now recognizable as a boat, as opposed to a pile of lumber! Some people have mistaken it for a speed boat. They asked Ronie what size engines we were going to use. He told them twin 250's.
      >
      > Neal
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Ronie erected the bulkheads today. Now I can really get an idea of the true size of this boat.
      > >
      > > We have a concrete floor in the shed, but it is in no way level. This was no problem for a clever Filipino. Ronie drew a centerline on the concrete then drew the bulkhead stations. He erected verticals, temporarily braced, at each station, then screwed the bulkheads to them. He used a 12 meter length of clear 3/8" hose as a level.
      > >
      > > Neal
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > End of week two.
      > > >
      > > > Bulkheads have been framed and beveled. Chine log timbers scarfed. Screwed up the full length buttstraps, however. Made them of 3/4" X 3 1/2" luaun. After gluing them to the side panels, I realized that the grain was running in the same direction as the joint. I contacted my partner (boat, not life!), Juny Binamira, who is a pro builder and designer. He said of course the buttstrap can't have the grain running along the joint. I said Bolger's plan wasn't clear on this. He said Bolger was known for not suffering fools lightly. I said, hey, I think that's a hidden dig at me!
      > > >
      > > > Tomorrow will chisel off the luaun butt and make one out of 3/4" ply.
      > > >
      > > > Juny has found copper powder in Manila and we will make up our own copper epoxy for the bottom.
      > > >
      > > > Neal

    • sandidgeneal
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 7 8:24 PM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@...> wrote:
        >Week 5

        Here is what Ronie has been up to...

        Finished the bottom glassing. Drew the steel plate positions on the bottom and got the actual dimensions. Scribed the bottom curve on four pieces of 1" wood. Also, made up patterns for 2 additional steel pieces along the outboard side of both centerboard slots. Sent these up to my partner in Manila for fabrication. Cut and framed the rest of the upper bulkheads. Built the "anti-plumping" bulge for the forward bottom. This consists of ten layers of 1/2" ply in concentric rings. The bottom 6 are about 5" wide. The top 4 are solid. It is now shaped up and glued in place, ready for covering

        > Week 4
        >
        > Finished the bottom planking. Cut the centerboard slots. Pre-cut the glass cloth for sheathing. While waiting on arrival of more epoxy, cut out and began framing upper bulkheads. Taped the chine with 10" wide 200 gram cloth. Began sheathing bottom with 2 layers cloth, going up to (down to?) more than 3" above the design waterline, which is the line up to which we plan to copper/epoxy before turning the hull. Hoped to glass all in one go, but couldn't. Will have to clean and sand and finish on Monday.
        >
        > We may have to suspend the build for a week or two while the steel plates are being fabricated and shipped.
        >
        > Neal
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Week 3
        > >
        > > Removed the timber buttstrap from the lower side panels and scarfed up a 3 1/2" X 30' replacement from 3/4" ply. Erected the lower bulkheads. Sprung the two 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" chine log timbers around the pre-notched bulkheads. Installed side panels. Installed bow and stern transoms. Glued on the first layer of the ply bottom and about half the second layer.
        > >
        > > The project is now recognizable as a boat, as opposed to a pile of lumber! Some people have mistaken it for a speed boat. They asked Ronie what size engines we were going to use. He told them twin 250's.
        > >
        > > Neal
        > >
        > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Ronie erected the bulkheads today. Now I can really get an idea of the true size of this boat.
        > > >
        > > > We have a concrete floor in the shed, but it is in no way level. This was no problem for a clever Filipino. Ronie drew a centerline on the concrete then drew the bulkhead stations. He erected verticals, temporarily braced, at each station, then screwed the bulkheads to them. He used a 12 meter length of clear 3/8" hose as a level.
        > > >
        > > > Neal

      • sandidgeneal
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 15 4:59 AM
          Week 6

          Glassed and faired-in then"anti-phlumpping" bulge under the bow. Built the Tortoise tender. Made it wider than standard as suggested in the AS29 plans. Suspending the build while waiting for the steel plates. Ronie will be repairing some rot in a friend's dive boat.

          Neal

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
          > >Week 5
          >
          > Here is what Ronie has been up to...
          >
          > Finished the bottom glassing. Drew the steel plate positions on the bottom and got the actual dimensions. Scribed the bottom curve on four pieces of 1" wood. Also, made up patterns for 2 additional steel pieces along the outboard side of both centerboard slots. Sent these up to my partner in Manila for fabrication. Cut and framed the rest of the upper bulkheads. Built the "anti-plumping" bulge for the forward bottom. This consists of ten layers of 1/2" ply in concentric rings. The bottom 6 are about 5" wide. The top 4 are solid. It is now shaped up and glued in place, ready for covering
          > >
          > > Week 4
          > >
          > > Finished the bottom planking. Cut the centerboard slots. Pre-cut the glass cloth for sheathing. While waiting on arrival of more epoxy, cut out and began framing upper bulkheads. Taped the chine with 10" wide 200 gram cloth. Began sheathing bottom with 2 layers cloth, going up to (down to?) more than 3" above the design waterline, which is the line up to which we plan to copper/epoxy before turning the hull. Hoped to glass all in one go, but couldn't. Will have to clean and sand and finish on Monday.
          > >
          > > We may have to suspend the build for a week or two while the steel plates are being fabricated and shipped.
          > >
          > > Neal
          > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Week 3
          > > >
          > > > Removed the timber buttstrap from the lower side panels and scarfed up a 3 1/2" X 30' replacement from 3/4" ply. Erected the lower bulkheads. Sprung the two 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" chine log timbers around the pre-notched bulkheads. Installed side panels. Installed bow and stern transoms. Glued on the first layer of the ply bottom and about half the second layer.
          > > >
          > > > The project is now recognizable as a boat, as opposed to a pile of lumber! Some people have mistaken it for a speed boat. They asked Ronie what size engines we were going to use. He told them twin 250's.
          > > >
          > > > Neal

        • sandidgeneal
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 12, 2012
            Still waiting on the steel plate delivery, but with the floods in Manila and Luzon, we decided to turn the hull and proceed with what we can. When the plate arrives we will flip the hull over again for the installation.

            Filleted and taped along the chines and lower bulkheads. Ran tape over the plywood joints on the bottom. Temporarily erected the bow uprights and the stern transom. Began the cockpit well and engine mount.

            Neal
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@...> wrote:

            > Week 6
            >
            > Glassed and faired-in then"anti-phlumpping" bulge under the bow. Built the Tortoise tender. Made it wider than standard as suggested in the AS29 plans. Suspending the build while waiting for the steel plates. Ronie will be repairing some rot in a friend's dive boat.
            >
            > Neal
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
            > > >Week 5
            > >
            > > Here is what Ronie has been up to...
            > >
            > > Finished the bottom glassing. Drew the steel plate positions on the bottom and got the actual dimensions. Scribed the bottom curve on four pieces of 1" wood. Also, made up patterns for 2 additional steel pieces along the outboard side of both centerboard slots. Sent these up to my partner in Manila for fabrication. Cut and framed the rest of the upper bulkheads. Built the "anti-plumping" bulge for the forward bottom. This consists of ten layers of 1/2" ply in concentric rings. The bottom 6 are about 5" wide. The top 4 are solid. It is now shaped up and glued in place, ready for covering
            > > >
            > > > Week 4
            > > >
            > > > Finished the bottom planking. Cut the centerboard slots. Pre-cut the glass cloth for sheathing. While waiting on arrival of more epoxy, cut out and began framing upper bulkheads. Taped the chine with 10" wide 200 gram cloth. Began sheathing bottom with 2 layers cloth, going up to (down to?) more than 3" above the design waterline, which is the line up to which we plan to copper/epoxy before turning the hull. Hoped to glass all in one go, but couldn't. Will have to clean and sand and finish on Monday.
            > > >
            > > > We may have to suspend the build for a week or two while the steel plates are being fabricated and shipped.
            > > >
            > > > Neal

          • David
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 13, 2012
              Congratulations Neal

              I'm looking for photographs. Are there any?

              David

            • mrprecise44
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 5, 2012
                We have not heard from you in a while. Nice to hear anything about another AS29 coming together. Congratulations from California!
                I am going to build one in about a year hence. Several projects to complete before my build.
                Questions:
                1. Is there a compelling reason for outside steel plate ballast, versus the original lead ballast inside?
                2. Could you post a pic of the anti-phlumphing bow addition?
                Thanks
                John
                ----------

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@...> wrote:

                > Congratulations Neal
                >
                > I'm looking for photographs. Are there any?
                >
                > David
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Still waiting on the steel plate delivery, but with the floods in Manila and Luzon, we decided to turn the hull and proceed with what we can. When the plate arrives we will flip the hull over again for the installation.
                > >
                > > Filleted and taped along the chines and lower bulkheads. Ran tape over the plywood joints on the bottom. Temporarily erected the bow uprights and the stern transom. Began the cockpit well and engine mount.
                > >
                > > Neal
                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Week 6
                > > >
                > > > Glassed and faired-in then"anti-phlumpping" bulge under the bow. Built the Tortoise tender. Made it wider than standard as suggested in the AS29 plans. Suspending the build while waiting for the steel plates. Ronie will be repairing some rot in a friend's dive boat.
                > > >
                > > > Neal

              • Mark Albanese
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 7, 2012
                  Well, the suspense must be intolerable for at least one or two of
                  you. No chance to test this week tho. Too bad, 'cause it's been
                  pretty warm and breezy here. A note, the new ballast in the heel
                  makes swinging up even easier.
                  Mark
                • John Kohnen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 7, 2012
                    I can hardly wait for your report. <g>

                    Did you notice that Sage is the cover girl for Jim M's latest newsletter?
                    :o)

                    http://www.jimsboats.com/

                    --
                    John (jkohnen@...)
                    We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the