Good read

  • Bill Howard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2012
      For all boating enthusiasts:

      I just finished reading River Horse, William Least Heat-Moon's tale of traveling by water from the Atlantic to the Pacific.  Most of the trip was in a 22 foot twin outboard powered C-Dory design.  When the rivers were too shallow or too fast for that, he used an aluminum canoe powered by paddle and 4 hp outboard.

      Obviously, he could not go all the way by water, but he did more than anyone else.  Portages included from Lake Erie to Lake Chautauqua, from Lake Chautauqua to the Allegheny, and over the continental divide from the headwaters of the Missouri to the Salmon River, down which he traveled by inflatable raft.

      A well told tale of hours of boredom (pages 331-333 are priceless) interrupted by moments of stark terror (pages 70-75 relate a bone-and-confidence rattling ride from Buffalo to Dunkirk on Lake Erie).

      Bill Howard
      Nellysford VA
      June Bug Builder 2007