Bilge boards on an AS-29

  • simplysailingonline
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25 8:27 AM
      We recently purchased Walkure, an AS-29 whose previous owner posted many pictures on this site. The port bilge board had delaminated and after removing it from the trunk we made several changes as we repaired it. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had similar experiences. http://simplysailingonline.com/index.php?page=ss115
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25 10:49 AM
        > The port bilge board had delaminated and after removing it
        > from the trunk we made several changes as we repaired it.

        I'm wondering why PCB made the boards hollow and self-draining. He had tried that trick with leeboards on Triad (and maybe others?), and found it was more difficult than it appeared. The water doesn't flow in and out quickly unless the access holes are large.

        And what's the benefit? The extra weight in the "high side" board is going to be an asset as often as a liability.
      • Rod Symington
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 25 12:32 PM
          I have just finished building the bilgeboards for the AS29, and on the advice of the owner of Walkuere I have extended 1/2-inch plywood to the edges of the aluminum core and enclosed everything in 6-ounce fiberglass.

          Rod

          We recently purchased Walkure, an AS-29 whose previous owner posted many pictures on this site. The port bilge board had delaminated and after removing it from the trunk we made several changes as we repaired it. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had similar experiences. http://simplysailingonline.com/index.php?page=ss115

        • loosemoosefilmworks
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 25 1:14 PM
            On Loose Moose 2 our bilge board (off-centerboard?) was solid and ballasted with lead... Worked finestkind and was trouble free.

            Bob
            http://boatbits.blogspot.com/
            http://fishingundersail.blogspot.com/
            http://islandgourmand.blogspot.com/
          • simplysailingonline
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 25 1:46 PM
              Good idea, Rod. If your experience is anything like ours, you may find that any extra glass requires modifications to the trunk, as well. The builder/former owner of Walkure had problems with both boards delaminating, so you may be glad you followed that advice.
              Connie

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rod Symington <rodsymington@...> wrote:

              > I have just finished building the bilgeboards for the AS29, and on the advice of the owner of Walkuere I have extended 1/2-inch plywood to the edges of the aluminum core and enclosed everything in 6-ounce fiberglass.
              >
              > Rod

            • Rod Symington
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 25 6:30 PM
                Should be no problem: the bilgeboards are only 1 1/4 inches wide, plus the fiberglass (1/8 inch?), while the bilgeboard slots are a good 2 inches. The bilgebards are unlikely to delaminate because, apart from being totally enclosed in fiberglass, the plywood cheeks are not only epoxied to the aluminum core, but also attached with countersunk throughbolts (braces and suspenders?).

                Rod