ferro AS something-or-other

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2012
      http://2011summercruise.blogspot.com.au/

      Interesting variation on the AS theme
    • dmdelapp
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 15, 2012
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <pindimarmicro@...> wrote:

        > http://2011summercruise.blogspot.com.au/
        >
        > Interesting variation on the AS theme

        She's an AS29 that was originally built as specified in the plans.
      • sandidgeneal
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 16, 2012
          Beautiful AS29. Do you know more about it?

          I had facetiously said that I was going to build my AS in ferro because I had a few sacks of concrete left over from an old patio project. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, damn, someone actually did it!

          Neal
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dmdelapp" <matt+bolger@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <pindimarmicro@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://2011summercruise.blogspot.com.au/
          > >
          > > Interesting variation on the AS theme
          > >

          > She's an AS29 that was originally built as specified in the plans.

        • Tom Pee
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2012
            The fuel used is extreme, thought the boat would be way more efficient than 2 mpg.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 16, 2012

              I trust we all understand the "Trip statistics" are for the fiberglass trawler that made the trip, NOT the Bolger AS!!

              My eyeballs on the photos of the trawler "See Y'all II" suggest it may be a rather recent Mainship 34, of say not more than ten years old...  such diesel "fast trawlers" (with a semi-planing hull) are slightly less efficient at displacement speeds than the true full-displacement trawler hulls, which get about 3 nautical miles per gallon, maybe 4mpg at best... so his figure of about 2mpg is realistic for the type.

              Regards,

              Wayne Gilham

              broker, Gig Harbor Yacht Sales

              --- who sure does appreciate the economy of simple Bolger boats -- my prior boat, a Black Skimmer, needed virtually NO fuel to push her with the altogether sufficient 4hp outboard.

              The fuel used is extreme, thought the boat would be way more efficient than 2 mpg.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 16, 2012
                This AS29 was originally built in Minnesota by Marc Lindgren.
                I think it was completed in 2001 and sailed on Minnesota lakes
                until my wife and I purchased it in July 2008. The boat was
                named Zephyr. While doing our modifications we decided to
                rename her Lollygag.

                Some of our modifications:
                Added 2" layer of foam on outside of hull sides and bottom
                covered with another layer of marine plywood (1/2" bottom
                and sides below rub rail, 1/4" above rub rail).
                Replaced original windows with giant windows (2'x2' in cabin,
                2'x4' in salon).
                Removed 500lbs. lead ballast, replaced with 500lbs. of AGM
                batteries (840 amp hours).
                Added catheads, chain locker, electric windlass.
                Converted built-in ice box to refrigerator.
                http://meetlollygag.blogspot.com/

                My wife's blog about our loop in 2011:
                http://lollygagaroundtheloop.blogspot.com/

                Matt

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@...> wrote:

                > Beautiful AS29. Do you know more about it?
                >
                > I had facetiously said that I was going to build my AS in ferro because I had a few sacks of concrete left over from an old patio project. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, damn, someone actually did it!
                >
                > Neal
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dmdelapp" <matt+bolger@> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <pindimarmicro@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > http://2011summercruise.blogspot.com.au/
                > > >
                > > > Interesting variation on the AS theme
                > > >

                > > She's an AS29 that was originally built as specified in the plans.

              • John Boy
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 16, 2012
                  Whoa this is too cool.  My wife and I had dinner date at the Dockside Cafe a couple of three weeks ago and we saw Lollygag.  After dinner we walked down the dock and drooled (my "big" boat is a 15ft Michalak Toon2).  We even saw the same sea hare that you have on your blog.  I feel like such a groupie...
                  John Boy

                  Arrh, fortune rides the shoulders of them what schemes.
                  Long John Silver

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
                    Great boat, Matt, and it looks like you are having a blast! Just curious, where did you install your chain locker and windlass? I want an elec windlass so that I can use an oversized anchor, but not sure how to do it.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
                      Chain locker is located port side forward in the head.
                      Removed original shelves, built watertight box in place
                      using pre-finished, fiberglassed 1/4" plywood pieces.
                      Seams sealed with small epoxy fillet, then taped with
                      epoxy saturated fiberglass. Top of chain locker is
                      about 18" below deck with PVC pipe to deck. Anchor
                      windlass is mounted directly above chain locker on
                      cathead (2"x8" plank) which is on top of 1" plywood
                      pad (pad is full width of deck).