Re: Lake Pepin Messabout photos

  • BillP
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2012
      The Duck Punt was a bit tippy, and Steve Lewis couldn't get it to go to windward.

      Bill

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

      > Looks like everybody was having a good time, and LOTS of nice boats showed
      > up. :o) Thanks for sharing your pictures.
      >
      > It was interesting to see an East Mersea Duck Punt (Capt. Bill's) this
      > side of the Pond. And out in open water too, not poking around in a marsh.
      > <g> How did it seem to perform?
      >
      > On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 06:02:01 -0700, Bill P wrote:
      >
      > > We had a great time on Lake Pepin, as you can see in the photos:
      >
      > > http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=12pepinmessabout
      >
      > --
      > John (jkohnen@...)
      > Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a
      > dog, it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

    • John Kohnen
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 11, 2012
        The Duck Punt is meant to be tippy. You're supposed to sail it heeled over
        to get the lee chine deep so it digs in and keeps you from sliding to
        leeward.

        I'm not surprised that it didn't go to windward out in the open lake. It's
        intended for sailing in the smooth, protected waters of its home marshes.
        They're neat little boats, but apparently not good for general purpose
        use. <sigh>

        http://duckpunt.wordpress.com/

        On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 04:28:37 -0700, Bill P wrote:

        > The Duck Punt was a bit tippy, and Steve Lewis couldn't get it to go to
        > windward.

        >> > http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=12pepinmessabout

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        In politics, absurdity is not a handicap. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
      • joe_mapango
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 12, 2012
          Can anybody tell me the price of the AS34 plans? Does anyone know if study plans are available for the ASS34?

          Just wondering!

          Chris Curtis
          s/v Romany
          curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com
        • Eric Kramp

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2012
              Nope, rather different to an AS. That MAIB issue (Volume 28 – Number 8 December 2010) at page 42 features the BOD article on:

              Matsue Traveler" A Study.
              "...This is essentially a sharpie hull derivative with a modified bow section (flared sides with a deep-Vee nose and forward centreboard) we've developed over many designs..."

              '"Matsue Traveler"
              Preliminary Specifications:
              LOA: 37'2" – LOD: 33'4"
              LWL (static): 28'5"
              Beam over Rubrail: 10'1"
              Beam on Deck: 9'7"
              Breadth of Bottom: 8'0
              Draft Hull (full load): 1'6"
              Draft Max Centerboard: 5'1"
              Sail Area: Approx 800sf
              Displacement Max: 12,500lbs'

              Substantial mixed ballast total unstated for metal, wood, tankage (55gal fuel, 100gal plus much more water and waste), large battery banks, etc, but:

              "Sinking
              She will offer enough wooden structure,
              insulation foam, plus dedicated buoyancy
              foam to remain afloat even if fully flooded
              throughout all of her compartments."

            • philbolger@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2012
                Mr. Curtis
                     the design has not been completed.  It will eventually be tended to.  I wished she was done as well. A significant addition to our cruising designs.

                Beyond what was published in MAIB there is no further material accessible.

                If you are interested in seeing her completed, we should talk on a private channel.
                Thank you for your interest.

                Susanne Altenburger, PB&F