Re: [bolger] Re: Folding Brigantine ........maybe

  • Scot McPherson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
      Well the light schooner almost fits that bills. It flies over the water. It's my favorite of phil's small boats.

      Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
      Old Lyme, CT
      Le Claire, IA
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 4, 2012, at 3:29 PM, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I've got my hands on a copy of "The Sharpie Book" by
      > Reuel B Parker, and found on page 156, a racing sharpie
      > complete with square course and top sails on the fore mast, ...

      If I were to be so antic as to turbo a Folding Schooner, I'd have a look at the Chesapeake Bay log canoes. The two kinds of boats share come characteristics such as narrow beam and limited stability. Of course the log canoes have large crews with hiking boards...

      They don't use a square sail, but they do fly some exotic topsails.

    • Bob Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2012
        Those racing sharpies from Parker's book (which are straight out of
        Chapelle's books) were raced in exactly the same manner as the
        Chesapeake racing log canoes; that is, with a very large crew and long
        hiking boards to counter-balance the large sail area. The sharpies
        would probably be faster than the canoes in a good breeze, as they may
        be able to plane. The canoes would probably do better in light airs
        due to their rounded hull form, with a little less wetted area. But,
        somebody build one, and we'll race 'em and find out. I'll volunteer to
        crew on one.

        Bob
        ---