Re: [bolger] Folding Brigantine ........maybe

  • zeke Duge
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
      Agreed...... Still the folding schooner has eclectic charm.

      Sent from my iPad
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
        > Hi, I've got my hands on a copy of "The Sharpie Book" by
        > Reuel B Parker, and found on page 156, a racing sharpie
        > complete with square course and top sails on the fore mast, ...

        If I were to be so antic as to turbo a Folding Schooner, I'd have a look at the Chesapeake Bay log canoes. The two kinds of boats share come characteristics such as narrow beam and limited stability. Of course the log canoes have large crews with hiking boards...

        They don't use a square sail, but they do fly some exotic topsails.
      • Scot McPherson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
          Well the light schooner almost fits that bills. It flies over the water. It's my favorite of phil's small boats.

          Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
          Old Lyme, CT
          Le Claire, IA
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 4, 2012, at 3:29 PM, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I've got my hands on a copy of "The Sharpie Book" by
          > Reuel B Parker, and found on page 156, a racing sharpie
          > complete with square course and top sails on the fore mast, ...

          If I were to be so antic as to turbo a Folding Schooner, I'd have a look at the Chesapeake Bay log canoes. The two kinds of boats share come characteristics such as narrow beam and limited stability. Of course the log canoes have large crews with hiking boards...

          They don't use a square sail, but they do fly some exotic topsails.

        • Bob Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2012
            Those racing sharpies from Parker's book (which are straight out of
            Chapelle's books) were raced in exactly the same manner as the
            Chesapeake racing log canoes; that is, with a very large crew and long
            hiking boards to counter-balance the large sail area. The sharpies
            would probably be faster than the canoes in a good breeze, as they may
            be able to plane. The canoes would probably do better in light airs
            due to their rounded hull form, with a little less wetted area. But,
            somebody build one, and we'll race 'em and find out. I'll volunteer to
            crew on one.

            Bob
            ---