Re: [bolger] Folding Brigantine ........maybe

  • Scot McPherson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
      Nor does a sharpie need so much drive. Tall ships are MUCH heavier and they displace so much water they need the extra drive to be competitive (thinking war ships here, not racing). A sharpie when brought to _cruising_ speed planes somewhat, and doesn't need all that drive to achieve good speeds. If you want taller mast, you'll need to increase your displacement, but that would defeat the whole purpose of the sharpie.

      I like the light schooner (which isn't really a sharpie, but sharpie like anyway) because it cruises with very low aspect rigging. Beside I like gaff rigged schooners...a lot.

      Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
      Old Lyme, CT
      Le Claire, IA
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 3, 2012, at 9:49 PM, zeke Duge <zeked@...> wrote:

      Not sure that you want more driveup high in a sharpie...... If you look at modelsof clipper ships the vast amount ofbulk isbelow water line.

      Zeke

      Sent from my iPad

    • zeke Duge
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
        Agreed...... Still the folding schooner has eclectic charm.

        Sent from my iPad
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
          > Hi, I've got my hands on a copy of "The Sharpie Book" by
          > Reuel B Parker, and found on page 156, a racing sharpie
          > complete with square course and top sails on the fore mast, ...

          If I were to be so antic as to turbo a Folding Schooner, I'd have a look at the Chesapeake Bay log canoes. The two kinds of boats share come characteristics such as narrow beam and limited stability. Of course the log canoes have large crews with hiking boards...

          They don't use a square sail, but they do fly some exotic topsails.
        • Scot McPherson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
            Well the light schooner almost fits that bills. It flies over the water. It's my favorite of phil's small boats.

            On Jun 4, 2012, at 3:29 PM, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

            > Hi, I've got my hands on a copy of "The Sharpie Book" by
            > Reuel B Parker, and found on page 156, a racing sharpie
            > complete with square course and top sails on the fore mast, ...

            If I were to be so antic as to turbo a Folding Schooner, I'd have a look at the Chesapeake Bay log canoes. The two kinds of boats share come characteristics such as narrow beam and limited stability. Of course the log canoes have large crews with hiking boards...

            They don't use a square sail, but they do fly some exotic topsails.

          • Bob Johnson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2012
              Those racing sharpies from Parker's book (which are straight out of
              Chapelle's books) were raced in exactly the same manner as the
              Chesapeake racing log canoes; that is, with a very large crew and long
              hiking boards to counter-balance the large sail area. The sharpies
              would probably be faster than the canoes in a good breeze, as they may
              be able to plane. The canoes would probably do better in light airs
              due to their rounded hull form, with a little less wetted area. But,
              somebody build one, and we'll race 'em and find out. I'll volunteer to
              crew on one.

              Bob
              ---