Folding Brigantine ........maybe

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
      Hi, I've got my hands on a copy of "The Sharpie Book" by Reule B Parker, and found on page 156, a racing sharpie complete with square course and top sails on the fore mast, not sure how effective it would be tho because at least some of it is in shadow from the other sails rigged, but does anyone think it might be interesting at least to try it...............or not. Kev
    • Scot McPherson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
        I'd say that depends on whether it's really in shadow or not. You just need some leading edge to catch wind and fill up a sail.

        Look at those oversized genoas as an example. They come straight behind the mains'l but they still fill up with wind.

        Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
        Old Lyme, CT
        Le Claire, IA
        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 3, 2012, at 5:30 PM, "kevin" <lordborrolan@...> wrote:

        Hi, I've got my hands on a copy of "The Sharpie Book" by Reule B Parker, and found on page 156, a racing sharpie complete with square course and top sails on the fore mast, not sure how effective it would be tho because at least some of it is in shadow from the other sails rigged, but does anyone think it might be interesting at least to try it...............or not. Kev

      • zeke Duge
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
          Not sure that you want more driveup high in a sharpie...... If you look at modelsof clipper ships the vast amount ofbulk isbelow water line.

          Zeke

          Sent from my iPad
        • Scot McPherson

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
              Agreed...... Still the folding schooner has eclectic charm.

              Sent from my iPad
            • Peter
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
                > Hi, I've got my hands on a copy of "The Sharpie Book" by
                > Reuel B Parker, and found on page 156, a racing sharpie
                > complete with square course and top sails on the fore mast, ...

                If I were to be so antic as to turbo a Folding Schooner, I'd have a look at the Chesapeake Bay log canoes. The two kinds of boats share come characteristics such as narrow beam and limited stability. Of course the log canoes have large crews with hiking boards...

                They don't use a square sail, but they do fly some exotic topsails.
              • Scot McPherson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
                  Well the light schooner almost fits that bills. It flies over the water. It's my favorite of phil's small boats.

                  On Jun 4, 2012, at 3:29 PM, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, I've got my hands on a copy of "The Sharpie Book" by
                  > Reuel B Parker, and found on page 156, a racing sharpie
                  > complete with square course and top sails on the fore mast, ...

                  If I were to be so antic as to turbo a Folding Schooner, I'd have a look at the Chesapeake Bay log canoes. The two kinds of boats share come characteristics such as narrow beam and limited stability. Of course the log canoes have large crews with hiking boards...

                  They don't use a square sail, but they do fly some exotic topsails.

                • Bob Johnson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 5, 2012
                    Those racing sharpies from Parker's book (which are straight out of
                    Chapelle's books) were raced in exactly the same manner as the
                    Chesapeake racing log canoes; that is, with a very large crew and long
                    hiking boards to counter-balance the large sail area. The sharpies
                    would probably be faster than the canoes in a good breeze, as they may
                    be able to plane. The canoes would probably do better in light airs
                    due to their rounded hull form, with a little less wetted area. But,
                    somebody build one, and we'll race 'em and find out. I'll volunteer to
                    crew on one.

                    Bob
                    ---