AS29 bottom plating cost

  • sandidgeneal
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2012
      We finagled a final price for the bottom plating from a shipyard in Subic Bay, Philippines. $2140 includes the 1/2" plate, cut to size with edges chamfered, bolt holes bored and countersunk, rolled to the contour of the bottom, sandblasted and galvanized.

      This is about 2/3 the cost of lead. More than double the price of scrap steel inside ballast, though. However, the bottom protection makes it worth it in my opinion.

      Neal
    • Rod Symington
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2012
        Neal:

        The problem with "rolled to the contour of the bottom" is this: You will have to construct the hull precisely to the specifications in the plans and your steel manufacturer will also have to fabricate the steel plate precisely to the specifications also -- otherwise the two surfaces will not mate. And it won't be easy to guarantee that as Subic Bay is a long way from Bohol!

        The designer foresaw this problem: that is why he advised taking a pattern off the finished hull for the eight separate pieces...

        Good luck!

        Rod (AS29 builder)

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2012
          Exactly, Rod. That is specified in the latest version of the plans. You have to scribe the bottom curve in a piece of 1"X stock for each of the four plate stations. Then the steel provider uses that as a guide. Will this work? Not sure, but worse case scenario, we'll have to use a bunch of faIring compound to smooth out the lumps.

          When are you going to be in the Phil's? Let's get together and talk Bolger!

          Neal

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rod Symington <rodsymington@...> wrote:

          > Neal:
          >
          > The problem with "rolled to the contour of the bottom" is this: You will have to construct the hull precisely to the specifications in the plans and your steel manufacturer will also have to fabricate the steel plate precisely to the specifications also -- otherwise the two surfaces will not mate. And it won't be easy to guarantee that as Subic Bay is a long way from Bohol!
          >
          > The designer foresaw this problem: that is why he advised taking a pattern off the finished hull for the eight separate pieces...
          >
          > Good luck!
          >
          > Rod (AS29 builder)

        • Rod Symington
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2012
            Neal, from your original post it sounded as if you were planning to have the bottom plate manufactured as a single piece -- hence my concern that if the shape and curve of the bottom of the boat and the bottom plate are not identical you will have a major problem: e.g. if the curve of the bottom plate is either too shallow or too great, it will not mate with the hull -- and no amount of fairing compound will help. Hence the better option of eight separate sections that will allow for greater tolerance of inaccuracies -- and the judicious use of fairing compound!

            At the moment I'm stuck on the Wet Coast of Canada, building the masts and sails for the AS29. Deadline for launching: July 31. Don't expect to be back in Asia until Oct/Nov.

            Regards

            Rod

            Exactly, Rod. That is specified in the latest version of the plans. You have to scribe the bottom curve in a piece of 1"X stock for each of the four plate stations. Then the steel provider uses that as a guide. Will this work? Not sure, but worse case scenario, we'll have to use a bunch of faIring compound to smooth out the lumps.

            When are you going to be in the Phil's? Let's get together and talk Bolger!

            Neal

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rod Symington <rodsymington@...> wrote:

            > Neal:
            >
            > The problem with "rolled to the contour of the bottom" is this: You will have to construct the hull precisely to the specifications in the plans and your steel manufacturer will also have to fabricate the steel plate precisely to the specifications also -- otherwise the two surfaces will not mate. And it won&#39;t be easy to guarantee that as Subic Bay is a long way from Bohol!
            >
            > The designer foresaw this problem: that is why he advised taking a pattern off the finished hull for the eight separate pieces...
            >
            > Good luck!
            >
            > Rod (AS29 builder)

          • Tom Pee
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2012
              How about making the plate first, then commence building ontop.  Would need to strap and lift to screw for fastening if doing it that way otherwise, just use epoxy as the adhesive when laying down plywood.

              Neal, from your original post it sounded as if you were planning to have the bottom plate manufactured as a single piece -- hence my concern that if the shape and curve of the bottom of the boat and the bottom plate are not identical you will have a major problem: e.g. if the curve of the bottom plate is either too shallow or too great, it will not mate with the hull -- and no amount of fairing compound will help. Hence the better option of eight separate sections that will allow for greater tolerance of inaccuracies -- and the judicious use of fairing compound! At the moment I'm stuck on the Wet Coast of Canada, building the masts and sails for the AS29. Deadline for launching: July 31. Don't expect to be back in Asia until Oct/Nov. Regards Rod
              Exactly, Rod. That is specified in the latest version of the plans. You have to scribe the bottom curve in a piece of 1"X stock for each of the four plate stations. Then the steel provider uses that as a guide. Will this work? Not sure, but worse case scenario, we'll have to use a bunch of faIring compound to smooth out the lumps.

              When are you going to be in the Phil's? Let's get together and talk Bolger!

              Neal

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rod Symington <rodsymington@...> wrote:

              > Neal:
              >
              > The problem with "rolled to the contour of the bottom" is this: You will have to construct the hull precisely to the specifications in the plans and your steel manufacturer will also have to fabricate the steel plate precisely to the specifications also -- otherwise the two surfaces will not mate. And it won&#39;t be easy to guarantee that as Subic Bay is a long way from Bohol!
              >
              > The designer foresaw this problem: that is why he advised taking a pattern off the finished hull for the eight separate pieces...
              >
              > Good luck!
              >
              > Rod (AS29 builder)

            • jdmeddock
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2012
                I keep returning to one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite Bolger chapters.

                What's the plywood for?
                (Burgundy, 30-Odd)

                I know we've addressed the question in this group of threads.
                Maybe the ply layers could be reduced in the area of the shoe to buy down the shipyard plate?
                Not really forwarding the discussion here at all, just sharing.

                Justin