Re: Black Gauntlet II

  • lancefgunderson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 4:20 PM
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > The photos are not Black Gauntlet II, but a previous version designed
      > for and built by Peter Duff. Bolger made several changes, before
      > finalizing the plans shown in the article. He explains in the first
      > paragraph that he was not satisfied with Peter's version nor with
      > Pointer, and did not think they should be duplicated.
      >
      > So I was wondering if one had ever been built to those plans.
      >
      > Nels
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > One question I have. Was one ever built from these plans?
      > >
      > > If you were actually looking at the book, you would know because it's
      > illustrated photos of one before and after going 3-D.
      > >
      > > But it wasn't a popular design, and that may be because PCB was so
      > candid about the faults as well as the good points of the type. I always
      > thought it was a strange mix technologically, the amateur-friendly ply
      > hull construction clashing with the wire-stayed rig.
      > >
      > > Lion's Paw as a similar hull in shape and appearance, but too big for
      > just about anyone to build.
      > >
      > > AS-29 has a much-deserved greater popularity with a much more useable
      > interior, and a low-tech rig. Also a very ship-shape appearance on the
      > water.

      Several Black Gauntlet ll's were built. Bill Blatter had one at his Key Largo Shoal Water Cruises which I got to sail once. I liked her a lot and found her much faster and better to windward than Black Skimmer. In his later years PCB would have preferred an unstayed rig for BG; he felt the rig as designed was too complicated and expensive.