Re: [bolger] Re: Shanty dreaming

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 19 , May 29, 2012
      I have a $50 pledge in the pot for this.

      HJ

      On 5/29/2012 10:38 AM, Hilbert wrote:
      Good day . wel let me help you shorten that list . there was [ I dont know if it still stands ] a superbrick challenge. here is the link http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/superbrick/index.htm
      read it carefully and who knows maybe you  wil be the first to own a superbrick.[subsedised]. and we on this forum and dwforum would love to hear all about it. greetings Hilbert.
    • jeepdriver54
      Message 2 of 19 , May 30, 2012
        How much are plans for the Superbrick?

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Hilbert" <h.gorte@...> wrote:

        > Good day . wel let me help you shorten that list . there was [ I dont know if it still stands ] a superbrick challenge. here is the link http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/superbrick/index.htm
        > read it carefully and who knows maybe you wil be the first to own a superbrick.[subsedised]. and we on this forum and dwforum would love to hear all about it. greetings Hilbert.

      • Hilbert
        Message 3 of 19 , May 30, 2012
          Good day. wel if superbrick is,nt going to work you might take a look at fast motor sailer the same room [aprox] as watervan but with a sail. greetings Hilbert.
        • Scot Mc Pherson
          Message 4 of 19 , May 30, 2012
            I'd take a look at that boat that apparently is going to be for sale. It might be what you need. unless of course you REALLY want to build a boat as many of us do...

            Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
            Old Lyme, CT, USA
            Le Claire, IA, USA
            Scot McPherson | Linkedin

            On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Hilbert <h.gorte@...> wrote:

            Good day. wel if superbrick is,nt going to work you might take a look at fast motor sailer the same room [aprox] as watervan but with a sail. greetings Hilbert.

          • Paraplegic Racehorse
            Message 5 of 19 , May 30, 2012
              A. I really want to build.
              B. Coming up with the finances to buy it combined with getting the time off to go fetch it actually makes it easier to build.
              C. It's not trailerable, there are no slips for that size boat left in the harbor, they don't let you live aboard in the storage yards, and I'm not real excited about anchoring off and daily commuting into town on a skiff to get to and from work.

              I'd like to buy, I really would; but it's not practical at this time.

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Scot Mc Pherson <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:

              > I'd take a look at that boat that apparently is going to be for sale. It
              > might be what you need. unless of course you REALLY want to build a boat as
              > many of us do...
              >

              > Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
              > Old Lyme, CT, USA
              > Le Claire, IA, USA
              > Scot McPherson | Linkedin <https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotmcpherson>
              >

              > On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Hilbert <h.gorte@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > **
              > > Good day. wel if superbrick is,nt going to work you might take a look at
              > > fast motor sailer the same room [aprox] as watervan but with a sail.
              > > greetings Hilbert.

            • BruceHallman
              Message 6 of 19 , May 30, 2012
                > Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Paraplegic Racehorse <paraplegic.racehorse@...> wrote:
                >

                > A. I really want to build.
                > B. Coming up with the finances to buy it combined with getting the time
                > off to go fetch it actually makes it easier to build.
                > C. It's not trailerable, there are no slips for that size boat left in the
                > harbor, they don't let you live aboard in the storage yards, and I'm not
                > real excited about anchoring off and daily commuting into town on a skiff to
                > get to and from work.
                >
                > I'd like to buy, I really would; but it's not practical at this time.

                Isn't a big part of "Shanty dreaming" scheming a way that you can live
                without having to do the daily commute to work in town?
              • Paraplegic Racehorse
                Message 7 of 19 , May 31, 2012

                  > Isn't a big part of "Shanty dreaming" scheming a way that you can live
                  > without having to do the daily commute to work in town?

                  Hah! Well, yes, and I'm thinking of a few but they have to wait until I feel settled enough in my debts and other affairs. I'm working on it, but it might be a year or three.

                  ~ Charles
                • paull01
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                    Hi Charles.
                    I just posted an ad for my Jessie Cooper here:
                    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3066062016.html

                    You're welcome to fly down (or take the ferry to Bellingham) and take her for a sail. Chuck Merrell built her with enough headroom for his 6'3" frame.

                    Maybe I could be persuaded to sail it up your way :) Now that would be an adventure!

                    Paul
                    Seattle

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Paraplegic Racehorse" <paraplegic.racehorse@...> wrote:

                    > I'm just moving this topic from the Duckworks forum, since two of the three boats on my shortlist are PB designs. I'm looking for a, preferably, sub-20' liveaboard. The three designs on my shortlist are Jessie Cooper (not sub-20' but has all the must-haves and most of my nice-to-haves), SuperBrick (most of the musts and many of the niceties) and a Triloboat (fully customizable - ie: detailed hull only and nothing on rig, cabin, deck or steering arrangement).
                    >
                    > Power shanties are not completely out of the question, but most are designed solely for lakes and rivers and I live in Seward, Alaska so my local sailing is fjords and all that entails. Tad Roberts has a tempting design but I'd prefer sail if I can get away with it.
                    >
                    > Mostly, I need a quickly built, insulated shell with respectable headroom (I'm 6'1" in my socks) to move into for the coming winter that I can finish up later.
                    >
                    > Can anyone help narrow my list a little more?
                    >
                    > ~ Charles
                    > __
                    > I'm Paraplegic Racehorse
                    > Grand Curmudgeon :: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Hive #994
                    > http://www.paraplegicracehorse.net

                  • John Nystrom
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 15, 2012
                      Supposedly someone built a SuperBrick in the Atlanta area to be kept on a local lake; no trailer built.  Dave Gray of "PolySail International" made a sail for the builder a few years back.
                      John Nystrom
                      Peru, IN (Kandahar, Afghanistan temporarily)