Folding Schooner and Light Schooner

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2012

      An option to the Folding Schooner is the Light Schooner.  Shorter and lighter but actually carries more sail!

      http://instantboats.com/lschooner.htm

      Our esteemed forum owner still has his build pictorial up as well with some suggested changes.

      http://carlsondesign.com/projects/bolger-light-schooner-%e2%80%93-a-step-by-step-construction-pictorial-of-my-1999-phil-bolger-light-scooner/

      Nels

    • Scot McPherson
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2012
        I like the light schooner. I have a set of the plan waiting to be run, but we ended up deciding to move to Connecticut which is a better spot to build and sail it anyway. I'll try to record that build when I begin it, though I may be building a diablo first to make my kids happy.

        Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
        Old Lyme, CT
        Le Claire, IA
        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2012

          An older but entertaining FS build article from down under.

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/articles/waltzing/matilda.htm

          Nels

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Scot McPherson <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:

          > I like the light schooner. I have a set of the plan waiting to be run, but we ended up deciding to move to Connecticut which is a better spot to build and sail it anyway. I'll try to record that build when I begin it, though I may be building a diablo first to make my kids happy.
          >
          > Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
          > Old Lyme, CT
          > Le Claire, IA
          > http://www.linkedin.com/in/scotmcpherson
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On May 29, 2012, at 10:35 AM, "prairiedog2332" arvent@... wrote:
          >
          > > An option to the Folding Schooner is the Light Schooner. Shorter and lighter but actually carries more sail!
          > >
          > > http://instantboats.com/lschooner.htm
          > >
          > > Our esteemed forum owner still has his build pictorial up as well with some suggested changes.
          > >
          > > http://carlsondesign.com/projects/bolger-light-schooner-%e2%80%93-a-step-by-step-construction-pictorial-of-my-1999-phil-bolger-light-scooner/
          > >
          > > Nels

        • John and Kathy Trussell
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30, 2012

            I had a Light Schooner (back then it was called “Scooner”).  As Bolger said, he piled on the canvas. Fast of the wind, but it needed several people to keep it upright in a breeze—not “seaworthy” in the normal sense. The “His and Her Schooner”, with its more modest sail plan and retractable keel might be a better choice.

            John T